Testing, testing... SCALE lugs discussion

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2008
      Howdy folks!
      There was a BOF at SCALE yesterday about southern
      california LUG coordination. It was suggested at that meeting
      that we use the lalugs mailing list to continue
      the discussion.

      Can anyone who was at the meeting raise their hand?
      Thanks,
      Dan
    • Michelle Klein-Hass
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2008
        I wasn't there, but was briefed by Kurt and Brian about what went on.

        I'm very intrigued about the idea of creating a communication network
        between LUGs. I am involved both with SFVLUG and LinuxChixLA, as you
        know, and I think both groups would be positively inclined towards
        such an effort.

        I missed you at SCALE, much to my disappointment. Hope things are
        going well for you, Dan.

        Take care,
        Michelle

        --
        Windows looking dingy and dull? Try the spiffy, more secure
        alternatives! Linux! Macintosh! Two great tastes that go great
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
          Group,

          Did this idea die? I'm interested in working on something like this.
          What would be the next step to make this a reality?

          Thanks.

          Jason

          --- In lalugs@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Klein-Hass" <msgeek703@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2008
            On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 1:49 PM, jasonrkr <jasonrkr@...> wrote:
            > Did this idea die? I'm interested in working on something like this.
            > What would be the next step to make this a reality?

            The moderation system delayed your message - I'm going to
            take the group off moderation for a little while.
            Maybe that will help.
            - Dan
          • Chris Louden
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2008
              Hello,

              No the idea has not died although communication did in fact fail. I'll
              take the blame.

              I actually have an email that's been in my drafts folder since mid-Fed
              that I had written to address continuing the discussion. It ended up
              coming off somewhat like a rant so I never sent it. I have had the
              intention to recompose it for a while now. The typical excuses; work
              and family have kept me busy. As well David Kaiser became very busy
              just after SCALE and he and I have not taken the time to follow up on
              the BOF in detail.

              Since the ball is rolling now, might as well keep it going.

              Let me first clarify based on some feedback that I already received.
              We are not attempting to make one gigantic SoCal LUG. As David said in
              the meeting there is nothing predatory going on here at all. We simply
              wish to create a community to help us pool our resources. The part of
              that I would like to stress is "create a community".

              The suggestion was put forth at the BOF that someone already had a
              website up and running with various features (wiki, mailing list,
              etc.). However hardly anyone is using it. David and I are also working
              on a web site, but that site does not have to be the solution either.
              In fact I would say that a web site is not the solution. Its great
              that we have a tool box full of tools, but what are we going to build?
              We need to first build a foundation for a community and go in the
              direction determined by that community.

              What do you think of creating a communication network between SoCal
              LUGs and other F/OSS groups, sharing speakers and events with one
              another?

              If you have a thought on the topic, lets here them.

              Chris