[Fwd: Raincoast User Group Conference: Linux / LUGs Now Invited!]

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2005
      FYI.

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Raincoast User Group Conference: Linux / LUGs Now Invited!
      Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:16:59 -0700
      From: Derek Simkowiak <dereks@...>
      To: dereks@...

      Dear Linux User,
      My name is Derek Simkowiak. In the past, I have presented at
      LinuxFest Northwest, and spoken about Linux on local T.V. This year, I
      am volunteering as the Linux User Group Coordinator for the the
      Raincoast Conference.

      Raincoast is non-profit user group conference that is operating
      system agnostic. It has been running for 12 years, and represents the
      entire Pacific Northwest area. It has corporate sponsors, including
      Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia, and IBM.

      This year is the first year that Raincoast has had an official
      "Linux Coordinator" on the Board. I am determined to make a strong
      showing for Linux. This is a great opportunity to show Mac and Windows
      users the kind of fun we like to have.

      The conference is a 3-day weekend conference in La Quinta Inn,
      Tacoma, WA, on Oct. 7, 8, and 9. There is a $60 entrance fee, which is
      for all Round Table sessions, conference meals, social events, and door
      prizes. If you register before Friday, Sept. 9th, there is a $10
      discount, so it's $50 to get in. (I'm on the board and even I have to
      pay the $50 to get in.)

      On Friday night, we are going to have an open exposé, which offers a
      free display table to user groups, and room for a technical bazaar. I'd
      love to see some of the same great stuff I saw at Linuxfest Northwest
      again at Raincoast. (Read: untapped market.)

      In addition to showing off Linux, I'd like to use the cross-platform
      nature of the conference to showcase some of the best cross-platform
      Open Source software, for example:

      o Mozilla Firefox
      o Mozilla Thunderbird
      o The GIMP
      o OpenOffice.org (the 2.0 beta is incredible!)
      o Blender (3D modelling, animation, and game engine)
      o Python

      I'm looking for volunteers to give demonstrations on these. I'm
      also taking recommendations for other good Open Source, cross-platform
      software that we could showcase -- for example, a demonstration of
      Apache+PHP under Mac OS X. I'm hoping that we can hand out the software
      on CD-ROM at the conference, and then walk people through the installs
      while we're there.

      I will also be contacting some local Linux businesses, to seek help
      with a corporate presence. Larger corporate sponsorship packages, such
      as sponsored luncheons, are available. "Have CD-ROMs; will logo." (Any
      biz references are appreciated.)

      The registration is limited to 150 people. You can register at
      http://www.raincoast.info/. Wireless Internet access will be available
      to conference attendees. And as usual, where there's Linux, there's beer.

      Thank You,
      Derek Simkowiak
      Raincoast (Linux)
      http://www.raincoast.info/

      P.S.> Please forward this to anyone who may be interested.

      --
      Trying to get a job as a c++ developer? See http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html