SCALE Adds more Speakers, Sponsors, and Groups!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004
      SoCal Linux Expo Adds more Speakers, Sponsors and Groups

      Los Angeles, CA December 14, 2004

      Many new speakers have been added to the SCALE 3X lineup:

      Norm McEntire - Servin Corporation
      Paul Von Stamwitz- AMCC
      Daryll Strauss - Digital Ordnance
      Cecil Watson
      Ted Gould - Inkscape
      John Ousterhout - Electric Cloud, Inc.
      Gideon Romm - Symbio Technologies
      Kim Brand - Computer Experts, Inc.
      David Uhlmann - Uversa Inc
      Sumitra Srinivasan - Georgia State University

      These sponsors are newly signed with the Linux Expo:

      TOLIS Group � basic sponsor
      LinuxQuestions.org - media sponsor
      Yosemite Technologies � registration sponsor

      The following LUGs or non-profit groups have signed up to man a booth at
      SCALE 3X:

      Debian, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Free Software Foundation, Gentoo, GNOME, KDE,
      KnoppMyth, LAMPSIG, Linux Astronomy, Linux Terminal Server Project,
      LinuxChix of LA, Santa Barbara Linux Users Group, Socal Wireless Users
      Group, and WikiPedia Foundation.

      If your LUG, or other non-profit Open Source organization would like to
      be represented at SCALE 3X, please contact gareth@... for
      a booth. Don't delay; booths are being assigned to LUGs and other ORGs
      steadily.

      SCALE 3X will be held February 12th and 13th, 2005, at the Los Angeles
      Convention Center.

      The Linux Expo of Southern California was established in 2001. Our
      mission is to evangelize the advantages of Open Source software.

      For more information, see http://socallinuxexpo.com, or email
      info@....
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 2004
        While most of the presentation tracks at SCALE are filling nicely, we
        have a large void in the beginner tutorials. This is our opportunity to
        present Open Source software to those who are merely interested, and we
        need to take advantage of this opportunity.

        Would you like to talk at SCALE? You don't need to be a Linux guru by
        any means. If you are comfortable speaking in front of a group, please
        consider volunteering for a beginner's tutorial. In this way you can
        contribute something back to OpenSource.

        Here are some ideas for beginner's topics. Feel free to come up with
        others! The topics should take around an hour, or perhaps a bit less to
        allow for some Q&A:

        - Overview of Linux
        - What's a 'distro', and what does it include?
        - Comparison of a few of the major distros
        - All about KDE
        - All about GNOME
        - Comparison of MS Office and OpenOffice
        - Linux equivalents for popular WinPrograms (good opportunity for a
        handout)
        - LiveCD's - what are they, and what's out there?
        - How to maintain a Linux system (yum, apt, yast, urpmi, etc.)
        - Very basic TCP/IP networking.
        - How to set up a basic Windows-share (via Samba)
        - How to use set up and use WebMin
        - Basic Wireless Networking (TOPIC ALREADY TAKEN)

        For those interested, please email your topic idea to
        kapadia@....

        Thank you!

        Gareth J. Greenaway
        SCALE Community Chair