USCLUG April Meeting: Kermit

  • Phil Dibowitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 11:47 PM
      Topic: Kermit
      Speaker: Dallas Legan
      Date and Time: April 24, 2003, 8-10 pm
      Location: USC, THH 210
      Cost: Free to members and general public
      Topics:
      Dallas will discuss the Kermit file transfer protocol and the C-Kermit
      scripting language. Dallas said, "You might summarize C-Kermit as a
      general 'telecommunications shell'. It is comparable to SQL or EMACS as
      a powerful, special purpose tool."

      Dallas Legan:
      I began seriously programming almost simultaneously on various
      mainframes (with emphasis on IBM 370), and the VIC-20, while working at
      Rockwell Int. on the Space Shuttle program. There I produced engineering
      support software and a few special tools when needed.

      Since leaving Rockwell, I've developed network management tools for a
      major metropolitin power utility, and am currently working toward some
      level of Cisco Certification at Compurep Associates. When not at my
      computer I'm usually reading or listening to music on a wide range of
      topics.

      Directions:

      From the 110 Northbound
      Exit Adams
      Take a left onto Adams
      Take a left onto Figueroa (south)
      Pass Jefferson and turn right into Gate 3 Park in the parking structure
      to the left, there is a $6 charge

      From the 110 Southbound
      Exit Adams
      Go straight, you'll hit Figueroa, take a right (south)
      Pass Adams
      Pass Jefferson and turn right into Gate 3 Park in the parking structure
      to the left, there is a $6 charge

      After you park
      Once you've parked exit the parking structure the way you came in, and
      turn left (i.e. away from the gate). Walk along the path and you'll be
      walking toward three buildings. The one slightly to the left of the end
      of the path is VKC, it has red brick, and a tall tower on top of the
      building with a large golden globe on the top of the tower. On the right
      of VKC is SOS, it's very short, and to the right of that is a very tall
      building. Right behind these buildings is THH (Taper Hall of
      Humanities). This is the building you want. It's very long, and
      L-shaped. Towards the right is an overhand and some glass doors, go in
      there and and up the stairs. Room 210.

      Maps
      http://www.usc.edu/assets/maps/upc_map.gif
      http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Los+Angeles&state=CA&slt=34.028099&sln=-118.284401&mlt=34.021100&mln=-118.286100&name=&zip=90007&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=8&desc=&cs=7&newmag=9&poititle=&poi=