Re: Idea (leaders of LUGs read, other disregard)

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 1999

      > We're all ambassadors here. Air the idea here, or email people
      > individually, but don't ask us to provide the email addresses
      > of the 'leaders'.
      Hi,

      I formed linuxatlax (we meet the second sat of each month, details over
      at www.linuxatlax.org). I act to help coordinate the groups meeting, get
      speakers and to "funnel" information as best I can.

      I am a physician so I do my best to keep up with all the technical folks
      around me- wow is it fun and keeps me on my toes. I just formed the
      group about a year ago and am so glad that anyone else was even
      interested in my half-baked plans.

      We all tend to pitch in and "lead" as the individual expertise becomes
      needed. Sure, building consensus is often difficult but the group just
      keeps on moving along. And after the web site was up with Mailman
      working well and the meetings section adequate, well then most of the
      admin stuff is done with.

      It was funny when folks came up to me last week at our Linux Demo day
      and asked me "how much will it cost to join the group?". I made up a
      story about how they would have to sign up for our groups VISA card that
      was subject to 38% interest rate, but other than that it was free. Well
      we all had a good laugh looking at everyone's face- then we all laughed
      together! (of course there has never been any charges or fees).

      best regards

      Ismet
    • Gareth J. Greenaway
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 1999
        Hi, intros first. I am Gareth J. Greenaway one of the leaders of the
        SCLUG group. Second part, I need the email addresses of the people in
        charge of the LALUGS, eg. UCLALUG, USCLUG, etc. (any I missed sorry).
        This is not spam at all, I just need to contact the other leaders with a
        proposal that ive come up with. So if you guys could email me so I have
        the address, id really appreciate it. Thanks.

        Gareth J. Greenaway | gareth@...
        "Do you think you're God? God, Root, what is difference?"
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 18, 1999
          "Gareth J. Greenaway" wrote:
          > Hi, intros first. I am Gareth J. Greenaway one of the leaders of the
          > SCLUG group. Second part, I need the email addresses of the people in
          > charge of the LALUGS, eg. UCLALUG, USCLUG, etc. (any I missed sorry).
          > This is not spam at all, I just need to contact the other leaders with a
          > proposal that ive come up with. So if you guys could email me so I have
          > the address, id really appreciate it. Thanks.

          Hi, Gareth. Er, this is about as close to a leadership group
          as you're going to conveniently get; if you want to get
          closer, you'll have to look up the "leader's" email
          addresses yourself, I'm afraid. (I write that in quotes because
          often the leadership of a LUG is a fuzzy thing, spread
          out among more people than might be obvious.)

          C'mon, we're an open-source community, may as well spill your beans here :-)
          (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
        • Gareth J. Greenaway
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 18, 1999
            On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

            > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
            >
            > "Gareth J. Greenaway" wrote:
            > > Hi, intros first. I am Gareth J. Greenaway one of the leaders of the
            > > SCLUG group. Second part, I need the email addresses of the people in
            > > charge of the LALUGS, eg. UCLALUG, USCLUG, etc. (any I missed sorry).
            > > This is not spam at all, I just need to contact the other leaders with a
            > > proposal that ive come up with. So if you guys could email me so I have
            > > the address, id really appreciate it. Thanks.
            >
            > Hi, Gareth. Er, this is about as close to a leadership group
            > as you're going to conveniently get; if you want to get
            > closer, you'll have to look up the "leader's" email
            > addresses yourself, I'm afraid. (I write that in quotes because
            > often the leadership of a LUG is a fuzzy thing, spread
            > out among more people than might be obvious.)
            >
            > C'mon, we're an open-source community, may as well spill your beans here :-)
            > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
            >
            > > Los Angeles Linux User Groups
            > http://www.lalugs.org

            Well what im really looking for, is someone from each group that makes
            decisions for the group and can be a ambassador of sorts for the other
            groups.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 18, 1999

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 18, 1999
                On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

                > We're all ambassadors here. Air the idea here, or email people
                > individually, but don't ask us to provide the email addresses
                > of the 'leaders'.
                > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)

                Okay I dont think you get what im trying to do here, im not asking for
                someone to give me the email addresses, im asking for the people in charge
                of each group to email me directly but if this group is made up of those
                people then I guess I can propose it directly.

                Like I mentioned before, I run the SCLUG (Simi Conejo Linux Users Group),
                we are a normal LUG, we have meetings, install fests, and the like. Our
                next scheduled install fest if October 23. What we were thinking (primary
                me) was to make it a LALUG install fest, basically inviting all the other
                LUGs to participate. Ive already spoken to a couple people from UCLALUG
                and they seem interested. The reason I wanted to email people directly
                because I wanted to get a definate answer from someone that can speak for
                each group as a whole, not individuals, as to how many people from each
                group would be there as we need to plan out stuff for it.