Re: [Lula] Want to help maintain lalugs.org?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2003
      Peter Benjamin wrote:
      > I plan on using a similar design to the homemade one I found
      > online. Some dowels, tape and Velcro to mount each keyboard
      > angled in the air and fully adjustable for angles and separation.
      >
      > Then no more angled wrists to my forearms or strange wrist
      > angles up or down. Just put my arms/wrists/fingers where
      > they feel comfortable and position the keyboards right there
      > and start typing. I hope it works. Well I know it will give
      > me more relief than the keyboard I'm using now.

      Do let us know!

      No, but I'm fairly happy with my datahand (http://www.datahand.com).

      > I'm looking at single hand chording keyboards as well.
      > I here I should be able to double my speed on that.

      Big red flag. I tried the BAT ten years ago, and found
      chording INCREASED wrist irritation. Avoid chording keyboards!

      > I'm going to eventually get separate keys for each finger
      > and position them in modelling clay, then bake the clay.

      That's what the datahand is like, kind of.
      Drawback is that it's quite expensive.

      Dan Kegel
      http://www.kegel.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2003
        Peter Benjamin wrote:
        > Just to re-iterate to those reading this thread, the original
        > post is to get help with lalugs.org that I know for a fact is
        > a very visited web site and is now mentioned in most major
        > linux and even unix portal and community web sites as the
        > place to find a meeting if you are visiting LA or OC or even
        > SoCal. Dan has done a fine job creating this site, which on
        > its own is now highly linked to for its focus. Most LA LUGS
        > now link to it. If you are in another part of LA looking
        > for similar minded folks, then LALUGS.org gives you the
        > fastest route to find the meeting day and location.

        Why, thanks.

        > I enjoyed my 6 months of maintaining LULA.org the other year.

        And we enjoyed it too!

        > I would do LALUGS for 6 months, but...

        I have a volunteer already, so you're off the hook. Thanks for the sentiment, though.

        >>No, but I'm fairly happy with my datahand (http://www.datahand.com).
        >
        > But Dan are your wrists not hurting with this unit?

        After a year and a third of hacking like the dickens, yes.
        It gave me quite a respite. It's not a cure, but it helped.

        > A very fine machine for $1300.00 US.
        > Is it adjustable? Mechanical angles?

        Yes. I don't adjust it much, though, which is probably bad.

        > Perhaps a different key layout might help?

        I found Dvorak very painful for typing 'ls', which I do often :-)

        > Actually I found the site had many interesting insights into
        > the mechanics of RSI and pain. Stuff I had not found on
        > other sites. Thanks Dan. I can use this stuff to better
        > analyze and arrange my low cost DIY attempt.

        > I agree that RSI is inflammation for 95% of the pain.
        > Cause the inflammation to go down and the pain goes away.
        > What cures do I know about? Three of them.
        >
        > Massage, special type of the bad blood out and good blood in.
        >
        > Aspirin cream applied directly the to muscle. Get the good
        > 30% aspirin cream for 20 second results. Apply many times
        > during the day, and the inflammation goes way down, and so
        > does the pain the next day when not using the cream.
        >
        > Raise your hands above your head. Drain out the blood.

        Another one that seems to help me: plunge arms alternately into
        very warm water and very cold water (hold for 30 seconds each).
        Increases circulation.

        Dan Kegel
        http://www.kegel.com