Reminder: USC LUG Meeting - THURSDAY

  • Phil Dibowitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2003
      Topic: The UNIX Boot Process
      Speaker: Luke Ravitch
      Date and Time: Thursday, February 20, 2003, 8-10 pm
      Location: USC, THH 201
      Cost: Free to members and general public
      Topics:
      Luke will be doing a survey of startup scripts from various Unix-type
      operating systems: Solaris, BSD, and a few Linux distros. I'll also
      cover writing startup scripts: what happens from when the kernel runs
      init to the first login prompt and some ways to modify that process.

      Luke Ravitch:
      I graduated from USC with a B.S. in computer science in 2001. Since June
      2001 I've worked for Northrop Grumman as a software engineer. Before
      that, I spent a year as an intern doing bioinformatics with a plant
      genomics company. Mostly my work involves programming (usually C or C++,
      but things like perl, awk, and shell scripting have come in handy), but
      I do a little bit of system administration as well. At work I've used
      mostly Solaris, Trusted Solaris, and (the dirt won't come off...)
      Windows, as well as some IRIX, Linux, and FreeBSD. At home I'm running
      Gentoo Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD.

      Directions:

      From the 110 Northbound
      Exit Adams
      Take a left onto Adams
      Take a left onto Figueroa (south)
      Pass Jefferson and turn right into Gate 3 Park in the parking structure
      to the left, there is a $6 charge

      From the 110 Southbound
      Exit Adams
      Go straight, you'll hit Figueroa, take a right (south)
      Pass Adams
      Pass Jefferson and turn right into Gate 3 Park in the parking structure
      to the left, there is a $6 charge

      After you park
      Once you've parked exit the parking structure the way you came in, and
      turn left (i.e. away from the gate). Walk along the path and you'll be
      walking toward three buildings. The one slightly to the left of the end
      of the path is VKC, it has red brick, and a tall tower on top of the
      building with a large golden globe on the top of the tower. On the right
      of VKC is SOS, it's very short, and to the right of that is a very tall
      building. Right behind these buildings is THH (Taper Hall of
      Humanities). This is the building you want. It's very long, and
      L-shaped. Towards the right is an overhand and some glass doors, go in
      there and and up the stairs. Room 201.

      Maps
      USC Campus - http://www.usc.edu/assets/maps/upc_map.gif
      Map of the area around USC -
      http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Los+Angeles&state=CA&slt=34.028099&sln=-118.284401&mlt=34.021100&mln=-118.286100&name=&zip=90007&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=8&desc=&cs=7&newmag=9&poititle=&poi=