Linux Counter; publicity

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18 1:57 PM
      David Lawyer reminded us of the Linux Counter project,
      http://counter.li.org/
      which lets people register their Linux machines online.
      Right now, there are 61613 computers registered with the project.

      Registering your computer is a way to show support for Linux, so
      we might want to encourage LUG members to register there.

      It's also potentially a way for people to discover the
      email address of Linux users; Microsoft sent a survey to
      people in Austria who had registered with the Linux Counter.
      There hasn't been too much Linux-related spam, so the
      risks are small at the moment, I think.

      Unless you count mail from LUGs as spam, of course!
      I've downloaded a list of 424 Los Angeles area Linux users
      from that site. Do we want to send mail to these folks,
      inviting them to use www.lalugs.org to find a local users' group?
      Personally, I think it'd be more productive to publicize
      www.lalugs.org in user group directories and on local radio
      shows.

      So I've submitted www.lalugs.org to the following directories:
      http://www.ssc.com/glue/groups/
      http://www.linuxlinks.com/UserGroups/UnitedStates/California/
      http://lugww.nllgg.nl/
      http://bbs.apcug.org/database/locdtst.asp?LCID=CA
      http://easyrsvp.com/ugotw/
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Operating_Systems/Unix/Linux/User_Groups/
      http://linuxnews.com/program/usergrp/list
      http://www.linux.org/users/groups/usa/california.html

      and I'll submit it to
      http://www.zdnet.com/computershopper/edit/cshopper/bbspolcy.html
      as soon as I find my analog modem...

      Hopefully this will drive some traffic to the web pages
      of the individual LUGs.

      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18 4:53 PM
        Dan Kegel wrote:

        > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
        >
        > David Lawyer reminded us of the Linux Counter project,
        > http://counter.li.org/
        > which lets people register their Linux machines online.
        > Right now, there are 61613 computers registered with the project.

        Imagine all of the goodwill and brand name that Linux is developing
        given the
        huge number of sites that are directly involved in this whole thing.
        (imagine a
        windows site for instant news like www.linuxmall.com!). And now more and
        more
        folks are talking about and using the *BSD's as well. You really get to
        know and
        like the OS as well as the culture and friendships that develop along
        the way.

        These notions extend into the whole "dot org" phenomenon of open source
        software development.
        It seems that programers / developers are attracted to this type of
        endeavor (choice,
        hours, ease of access, challenges, and lack of boredom - not to mention
        the incredible
        affect on society as a whole.) Certainly the GNU/GPL is one of the most
        interesting movers in all of this. And certainly the business models out
        there are developing very nicely to
        embrace this.

        (some the ideas and notions here are quite helpful in sorting out some
        of these issues
        http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-09/lw-09-gnu.html)

        > Registering your computer is a way to show support for Linux, so
        > we might want to encourage LUG members to register there.

        I just finished getting an account on lafn (lafn.org) for the two
        youngest members in
        our group (10 and 4). The 486 with SuSe6.2 is up and running nicely with
        the PPP connection
        working very well indeed. (the first site they went to was
        www.pokemon.com).

        I'll have to remind them to register it at the Linux counter. Many of
        the
        parents in their schools have been very curious as to how to get a Linux
        system (it is
        a buzz in the K-public school systems here in LA) and also on how to
        access the LA Freenet.

        (BTW thanks to Jimmy Navaro for pointing out that I needed to setup
        proxy server connections
        to use PPP for http under lafn.org, and much thanks to Michael Fair for
        pointing out that I
        needed to add a no-linear line to lilo.conf to access the MBR from the
        3.2 GB drive in that system).

        > Unless you count mail from LUGs as spam, of course!
        > I've downloaded a list of 424 Los Angeles area Linux users
        > from that site. Do we want to send mail to these folks,
        > inviting them to use www.lalugs.org to find a local users' group?

        Sure why not. I was hoping that we could also plan for a SUPER- install
        fest and couple it
        with someone like the LA FreeNet to get kids on-line in addition to
        using Linux. Maybe some hardware support from Aerospace/Technical
        companies and other industries here in LA county as well as the national
        hardware vendors. (discounted systems for example along with the low,
        $40 /year , access feeto LA Freenet makes for a very nice on-line
        /educational solution that most folks could afford). Sort open source
        hardware/ network access if you will.

        Any one else interested in this? Could we use the collective energies
        and genius of our groups here in LA to pull this off? How about shooting
        for 1000 new Linux based /network users in the next quarter? And
        eventually a 100,000 new users in LA by the end of next year? (setting
        up our own counter for this).

        As it grows it sure would take some careful organization- but what
        better thing to do then this? GNU begets GNU.

        I don't have a huge amount of time, but I sure would be willing to do my
        share and if we split up the work between all of use in the various
        LUG's we sure could cover a wide area.

        > Personally, I think it'd be more productive to publicize
        > www.lalugs.org in user group directories and on local radio
        > shows.

        Yes- any one have connections in this area?

        > So I've submitted www.lalugs.org to the following directories:
        > http://www.ssc.com/glue/groups/
        > http://www.linuxlinks.com/UserGroups/UnitedStates/California/
        > http://lugww.nllgg.nl/
        > http://bbs.apcug.org/database/locdtst.asp?LCID=CA
        > http://easyrsvp.com/ugotw/
        > http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Operating_Systems/Unix/Linux/User_Groups/
        > http://linuxnews.com/program/usergrp/list
        > http://www.linux.org/users/groups/usa/california.html
        > and I'll submit it to
        > http://www.zdnet.com/computershopper/edit/cshopper/bbspolcy.html
        > as soon as I find my analog modem...

        Wow, great.

        If any one would like to chat about this or subject of this thread we
        could start over at
        irc.dal.net, in the #lilax channel- say 9 PM?