Re: [SGVLUG] publicity broadcast (spam ?)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 1999
      I agree, anyone who sends out mail to Linux users in Los Angeles
      might want to mention the lalugs.org web site. Presumably
      all the LA LUGs link there (or will soon), though, so it's not
      the most important thing in the world.

      Also, by emailing to people who registered with http://counter.li.org,
      aren't we preaching to the choir? What we need is a billboard
      on Wilshire Boulevard :-) or more practically speaking,
      to develop a relationship with the hosts of local computer-oriented radio
      shows.
      - Dan

      --
      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
    • Charlie Blanchard
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 1999
        Dan,

        Regarding relationships with <media types>. One such that comes to mind
        immediately is Steve Bass, founder and operator of PIBMUG* - Pasadena IBM Users
        Group. In addition to running one of the country's more successful and
        influential user groups, Steve is a columnist for PC World and other
        publications, a radio talk show (KPCC) co-host, and I believe is or was recently
        president of a national association of users groups.

        I have been a member of PIBMUG for some years now, and know Steve to be a very
        high integrity type who literally has gone the extra mile <for me and others>
        on many occasions. Indeed, PIBMUG is the forum where I was first introduced to
        Linux just this past February when he invited Jeff Lansman to present a talk
        about and demonstration of Linux. It was at that meeting that I discovered the
        SGVLUG since Ocie Mitchell was manning the computer while Jeff presented.

        Good grief, I've gone long winded again! Anyway, I believe Steve would be
        interested in the fact that there is a central point of communication for Linux
        in Southern California.

        --charlie

        BTW - Steve requested info for an upcoming article awhile back and as a result
        I introduced him to Frank Keeney of SGVLUG. In addition to assisting Steve with
        his research, Frank will be a presenter on the subject of computer
        security at PIBMUG's October meeting. (Wed, Oct 6th)

        * - PIBMUG: http://www.pibmug.org

        On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:
        > I agree, anyone who sends out mail to Linux users in Los Angeles
        > might want to mention the lalugs.org web site. Presumably
        > all the LA LUGs link there (or will soon), though, so it's not
        > the most important thing in the world.
        >
        > Also, by emailing to people who registered with http://counter.li.org,
        > aren't we preaching to the choir? What we need is a billboard
        > on Wilshire Boulevard :-) or more practically speaking,
        > to develop a relationship with the hosts of local computer-oriented radio
        > shows.
        > - Dan
        >
        > Charlie Blanchard wrote:
        > > The wide area "spamming" (-: might be more appropriately done periodically by
        > > lalugs.org on behalf of all area lugs - and can direct to the lalug.org site
        > > for potential members to choose.
        > >
        > > Sounds like a valid function of lalugs.org? The site is informative and
        > > up-to-date with the area Lug contact info...

        Charlie Blanchard
        direct: 626-447-3092

        Studio Media Services
        951 North Ontario St. Burbank, CA 91505