- View SourceThis information isn't specific to L.A. LUGS, but since
many LUG members are consultants, I thought this information
might be beneficial to them as a desktop solution for their clients.
I apoligize if it is inappropriate.
I've created a new distro based on Red Hat 7.3.
It is another desktop distro aimed for the typical newbie user.
It is still early in its development, so it is more recommended for
consultants or current Linux users that wish to install a version of
Linux for their customers/spouses/Moms/friends which they can help out
and answer their questions.
Some of its benefits/goals are:
* Based on Red Hat 7.3. Those using Red Hat on their servers don't
have to learn new commands and file locations unlike other desktop
distros when they want to install a user friendly distribution on a
friend or family members computer. Again unlike other desktop
distributions, it is almost 100% Red Hat 7.3 compatible so you can
take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and software already available.
* Slimmed down to a single CD. Almost all software not needed by a
typical desktop user is not included. This prevents accidental software
installs which can slow down the computer, and provides less possibility
for security vulnerabilities. It is also easier and less costly to
provide somone a copy of the distribution.
* 4 step install can provide you a fully functional desktop environment
in less than 15 minutes.
* Recompiled for i686 and above processors to get the most from your
Anyways, if LUG Leaders know of members that would be interested in
such a project, please point them to
http://www.boycottmicrosoft.net/jamd/ for further information.