Linux and State Government: getting to know the policymakers

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2002
      Hey folks,
      I'm getting more and more interested in government technology
      policy. Ever since Peru came out with their proposed law requiring
      that government agencies use Open Source software if it met their
      needs, I've wondered how come California sends so much money north
      to Redmond (and over to Oracle).

      As it turns out, State Senator Debra Bowen, who is influential in
      technology policy (see
      http://www.google.com/search?q=debra+bowen+technology),
      is from a district that overlaps LULA and Lilax's home turf (see
      http://democrats.sen.ca.gov/servlet/gov.ca.senate.democrats.pub.members.memDisplayMap?district=sd28
      )

      If we as Linux advocates want to influence the state to behave
      more sensibly with respect to their software dollars, it might
      behoove us to get to know Senator Bowen one way or another.

      If anyone's interested in talking about this, please email me,
      and let's get something going. (Yes, I have something in mind.)

      Thanks,
      Dan