Lynx browser talk (was Announcing BrowserAdvocacy project)

  • Dallas E. Legan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
      > *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*
      > Message: B0000398005.MSG # in packet :#7.
      > Date: 08 Sep 2002 22:19:41 -1000
      > From: Warren Togami <warren@...>
      > To: usclug-chat@...
      > Subject: [usclug-chat] Announcing BrowserAdvocacy project
      ( body of Warren's message below. Thanks to Warren for permission
      to include his post with my announcment.)
      --

      I couldn't of asked for a better intro to mention a talk I
      was recruited to help give (with Tony Butka)

      Some articles that helped to provoke my involvment:
      http://www.scoug.com/os24u/2001/scoug009.textbrowsers.html
      http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/case20.html
      http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/case24.html

      Details on the meeting:
      http://www.scoug.com/meetings.html
      General information on SCOUG:
      http://www.scoug.com

      We'll probably be discussing
      philosophy of text mode browsers,
      installation/configuration tips,
      fingering shortcuts, image viewer set up,
      URL schema supported and
      use of EXTERN alternate programs for various URL schema,
      b^Hr^He^Ha^Hk^Hi^Hn^Hg^H ^Hi^Hn^Ht^Ho^H
      accessing *your* on-line banking account,
      handling frames, bypassing javascript and
      whatever else we can get around to.

      All enthusiasts for alternative operating systems are
      welcome to attend the meeting.

      If you can't attend, rumor has it Raymond Steding
      of http://www.LPBN.org *may* be taping the talk,
      in which case it will be available on line.

      Feel free to forward this announcement to any where
      whatsoever.

      Apologies if anyone finds this post inappropriate.

      Thanks again, Warren

      --

      Warren said:

      > BrowserAdvocacy project discusses issues facing the adoption of
      > alternative web browsers - mainly dealing with sites that choose to
      > reject visitors based upon user agent for no valid technical reason.
      >
      > Web browser rejection is among the main factors preventing adoption of
      > alternate web browsers. Most of the time this rejection is completely
      > artificial, caused by ignorance in the web designer that other web
      > browsers do exist and are of high quality. In any of these cases, when
      > people try to visit and they are told "Upgrade to Internet Explorer",
      > they immediately have a negative impression of alternate web browsers
      > (and Linux as a desktop.)
      >
      > This project is an attempt to improve this situation at various sites on
      > the Internet through education and advocacy campaigns. We will organize
      > polite letter writing and phone call campaigns educating sites and
      > designers as to why they should support alternate web browsers.
      > Additionally we will organize educational articles to post at various
      > news sites introducing new users to the benefits of alternate browsers,
      > like the speed and pop-up protection of Mozilla, Galeon or Opera. We
      > will prioritize our efforts toward larger sites that offer critical or
      > popular services, and eventually work our way toward smaller sites.
      >
      > I have already had success with convincing First Hawaiian Bank Online
      > http://www.fhb.com to allow Mozilla into their new online site launching
      > September 22nd. This is one example of a "critical" site, making Linux
      > and alternate web browsers inconvenient if you use online banking at
      > this bank.
      >
      > Like usual I am taking on too many projects myself, so I would really
      > appreciate if it some people would volunteer to help organize this
      > project. We mainly need content writers and a webmaster. The following
      > content will need to be written:
      >
      > * Project Home Page
      > * Mailing List Policy
      > * Status Board - showing current status of all sites identified for
      > targeted advocacy
      > * Documentation
      > ** Why is this a problem? (discrimination, etc.)?
      > ** How to identify problem sites?
      > ** Sample letters to web designers
      > ** Article introducing the benefits of Mozilla to new people
      >
      > Please let me know if you can help this project.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Warren Togami
      > warren@...
      > Mid-Pacific Linux Users Group
      > http://www.mplug.org
      > Browser Advocacy Project
      > http://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mailman/listinfo/browseradvocacy

      > --- EOM ---

      Regards,
      Dallas E. Legan II / leganii@... / dallasii@...

      Powered by......Lynx, the Internet at hyperkinetic speed.
    • Dallas E. Legan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
        Sorry to everyone about very badly violating
        crossposting netiquette that was discussed this very day.
        (UUASC list)
        mailx does not have a '-bcc' option.
        I need some sleep.