Re: [lalugs] [cashmere@adelphia.net: Please forward this]

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
      Got it. BTW I'm working on a white paper on why
      universities to start the switch; see
      http://kegel.com/linux/edu/
      Once that's in place, I hope to try it out on UCLA and USC.

      Would you be interested in doing a joint presentation
      at, say, UCLA, aimed at coaxing them into supporting
      Linux more widely?
      - Dan

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
        Pitch this to CSUN too. This semester they've switched a lab from 2000
        to XP and the 2nd unix lab has been transformed to 2000. We're down to
        one un*x lab.

        Gareth

        On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 03:29:57PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
        > Got it. BTW I'm working on a white paper on why
        > universities to start the switch; see
        > http://kegel.com/linux/edu/
        > Once that's in place, I hope to try it out on UCLA and USC.
        >
        > Would you be interested in doing a joint presentation
        > at, say, UCLA, aimed at coaxing them into supporting
        > Linux more widely?
        > - Dan
        >
        > Jack Denman wrote:
        > > People have made the migration but TechConsults has yet to do one. Red Hat is aiming for
        > > the desktop at years end. Since we already have a training center, we have part of our
        > > business plan in place. We are getting some leads from various people. Right now we are
        > > setting up a network, 3 workstations, mail server, database and Open Office, Star
        > > Office6.0, and evolution. Walt, a lawyer and the head of the San Diego Linux Users Group,
        > > wanted a network set up so that the press and other interested parties could see how it
        > > works. The price of MS Office is 425 (each) and XP at 150 (each) for the enterprise. We
        > > might not be able to replace all the windows software right away but some customers are
        > > going to save a lot of money. We need to get the word out and to have people look at a
        > > working open source system that can do the work of windows at a much lower cost.
        > >
        > > Jack Denman
        > >
        > > At 07:44 AM 9/4/2002, Dan Kegel wrote:
        > > >Hi Jack,
        > > >LULA would probably enjoy a presentation from you. Maybe you could
        > > >give a case study of a windows-to-linux migration you've been involved
        > > >in?
        > > >Our web site is http://www.lula.org if you want to know more about us.
        > > >
        > > >BTW, I run Linux internships, too. Check out
        > > >http://www.kegel.com/academy/
        > > >Might be fun to compare notes.
        > > >- Dan

        "I'm a 21st century digital boy, I don't know how to live but i've got
        a lot of toys."