Re: [lalugs] [cashmere@adelphia.net: Please forward this]

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      Hi Jack,
      LULA would probably enjoy a presentation from you. Maybe you could
      give a case study of a windows-to-linux migration you've been involved
      in?
      Our web site is http://www.lula.org if you want to know more about us.

      BTW, I run Linux internships, too. Check out
      http://www.kegel.com/academy/
      Might be fun to compare notes.
      - Dan

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
        Got it. BTW I'm working on a white paper on why
        universities to start the switch; see
        http://kegel.com/linux/edu/
        Once that's in place, I hope to try it out on UCLA and USC.

        Would you be interested in doing a joint presentation
        at, say, UCLA, aimed at coaxing them into supporting
        Linux more widely?
        - Dan

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
          Pitch this to CSUN too. This semester they've switched a lab from 2000
          to XP and the 2nd unix lab has been transformed to 2000. We're down to
          one un*x lab.

          Gareth

          On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 03:29:57PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
          > Got it. BTW I'm working on a white paper on why
          > universities to start the switch; see
          > http://kegel.com/linux/edu/
          > Once that's in place, I hope to try it out on UCLA and USC.
          >
          > Would you be interested in doing a joint presentation
          > at, say, UCLA, aimed at coaxing them into supporting
          > Linux more widely?
          > - Dan
          >
          > Jack Denman wrote:
          > > People have made the migration but TechConsults has yet to do one. Red Hat is aiming for
          > > the desktop at years end. Since we already have a training center, we have part of our
          > > business plan in place. We are getting some leads from various people. Right now we are
          > > setting up a network, 3 workstations, mail server, database and Open Office, Star
          > > Office6.0, and evolution. Walt, a lawyer and the head of the San Diego Linux Users Group,
          > > wanted a network set up so that the press and other interested parties could see how it
          > > works. The price of MS Office is 425 (each) and XP at 150 (each) for the enterprise. We
          > > might not be able to replace all the windows software right away but some customers are
          > > going to save a lot of money. We need to get the word out and to have people look at a
          > > working open source system that can do the work of windows at a much lower cost.
          > >
          > > Jack Denman
          > >
          > > At 07:44 AM 9/4/2002, Dan Kegel wrote:
          > > >Hi Jack,
          > > >LULA would probably enjoy a presentation from you. Maybe you could
          > > >give a case study of a windows-to-linux migration you've been involved
          > > >in?
          > > >Our web site is http://www.lula.org if you want to know more about us.
          > > >
          > > >BTW, I run Linux internships, too. Check out
          > > >http://www.kegel.com/academy/
          > > >Might be fun to compare notes.
          > > >- Dan

          "I'm a 21st century digital boy, I don't know how to live but i've got
          a lot of toys."