[cashmere@adelphia.net: Please forward this]

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      ----- Forwarded message from Jack Denman <cashmere@...> -----

      From: Jack Denman <cashmere@...>
      To: gareth@...
      Subject: Please forward this
      Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:06:58 -0700

      Gareth,

      I am sending you a message that I sent to the Orange County Linux Users Group.

      Would you please forward this message to the LA group. I think that we have
      something to contribute to the advancement to Linux among the desktop
      corporate users and some momey that they can save.

      I want to introduce myself to the group. I attended your last meeting. I
      received a warm welcome from those I spoke with. I will be there (God
      willing) for your next meeting.

      I am teaching the Linux Internship class at TechConsults in Irvine. The school
      is an extension of Cal-Poly University The training center prepares people
      for certification in Oracle, Java and others.

      http://www.techconsults.net/

      We are planning training for Linux Certifications and an outsource
      organization to migrate corporations and other large IT departments from
      Windows to Linux. We feel that the time is right for Linux to come to the
      desktop. The tiered services we are planning to offer are:

      1.Migration to Linux including the data
      2.Training and certifications
      3.System Maintenance

      I spoke with the head IT person at the City of Garden Grove this last week.
      They switched to Linux in 1995 and never looked back. An outside vendor had
      given them a quote to convert the police station to an all windows platform
      for one million dollars. The city rejected the bid and they installed Linux
      for 300,000 and most of that was for the wiring.

      People from LUG are using open office as a rule. This may be the way to go for
      them, but 100% compliance with MS Office would have a better appeal to
      corporations who are addicted to Windows. We are evaluating Star Office 6.0
      to see how much compliance there is on this release. SUN has made the claim
      that it is fully compliant. The people at SuSe have told me that they are NOT
      going to enforce the license. The City of Garden Grove aggrees with us on
      this matter, the compliance with MS Office, at least for the present.

      We believe with good reason that Windows requires a larger IT staff than
      Linux. We do not have the hard evidence to present to prospective clients. My
      job this last week was to obtain comparative cost savings using Linux. The
      data is simply not available.

      In order to get clients and to establish a good reputation, along with a
      better system, we are prepared to:

      1.Migrate the first customers at no cost of the labor or a money back
      guarantee if the customer is satisfied
      2.Give seminars on Linux and the benefits of stability, lower cost and higher
      security to the customers.

      Right now we are looking for potential customers. The time has never been
      better for a better system than Windows.

      Sincerely;
      Jack Denman

      ----- End forwarded message -----

      --
      "I'm a 21st century digital boy, I don't know how to live but i've got
      a lot of toys."
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        Hi Jack,
        LULA would probably enjoy a presentation from you. Maybe you could
        give a case study of a windows-to-linux migration you've been involved
        in?
        Our web site is http://www.lula.org if you want to know more about us.

        BTW, I run Linux internships, too. Check out
        http://www.kegel.com/academy/
        Might be fun to compare notes.
        - Dan

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
          Got it. BTW I'm working on a white paper on why
          universities to start the switch; see
          http://kegel.com/linux/edu/
          Once that's in place, I hope to try it out on UCLA and USC.

          Would you be interested in doing a joint presentation
          at, say, UCLA, aimed at coaxing them into supporting
          Linux more widely?
          - Dan

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
            Pitch this to CSUN too. This semester they've switched a lab from 2000
            to XP and the 2nd unix lab has been transformed to 2000. We're down to
            one un*x lab.

            Gareth