Re: [lalugs] Re: Let's have some Microsoft Office users try Open Office...

  • J. Lucha
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22 11:17 PM
      Dafydd,

      Just out of curiousity, what version did
      you evaluate. Was it the StarOffice Beta, or
      did you use OpenOffice?

      As a side note to those that are going to take up Dan's challenge and
      evaluate it for several days. I know that being able to use Microsoft's
      formats will be important, but I think evaluating its usefulness with
      it's own built-in formats is also very important. At our work, we are
      evaluating it on it's ability to DISPLAY Word and Excel files. Any
      modification or new documents will be saved in the StarOffice/OpenOffice
      native format. Part of the point is not just having a cheaper office
      suite, but having open file formats.

      -Jim
    • J. Lucha
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22 11:23 PM
        Dan,

        We have decided not to sign up for Software Assurance 6.0 and are
        evaluating StarOffice.

        I'll let you know how it goes.

        If anyone is willing to write an extensive review with all the
        positives/negatives, and workaround solutions please let me know.
        I am starting a web site providing information on alternatives to
        Microsoft software, and am looking for contributions. Please contact
        me if you are interested in contributing.

        -Jim
      • Dafydd Walters
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23 6:58 AM
          > Just out of curiosity, what version did
          > you evaluate. Was it the StarOffice Beta, or
          > did you use OpenOffice?

          We were testing OpenOffice.org 1.0.