LULA Meeting Aug 21: Snort - Lightweight Network Intrusion Detection System

  • Peter Benjamin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2001
      LULA 2001 August Meeting Announcement - Repost freely.

      Linux Users Of Los Angeles - http://www.lula.org

      Topic: Snort - A Lightweight Network Intrusion Detection System

      Speaker: Drew Beach

      Date and Time: Tuesday, August 21, 2001, 7-9 pm

      Location: Digital Domain, 300 Rose Avenue, Venice, CA
      Entrance for walk or drive in is on 3rd Street.

      Cost: Free to members and general public

      Today's Internet security concerns demands keeping abreast
      of the latest methods to protect your computers and data.
      The average computer on the Internet is attacked many
      times daily. To protect your computers and data from this
      onslaught, it helps to keep up with advances in Internet
      security methods. Traffic sniffing is the primary method
      of detecting cracking attempts before the damage is done
      and alerting staff of attacks as they are initiated, not
      after the fact. Snort is a popular software package for
      all types of computers from gateway firewalls to home

      Overview of Intrusion Detections Systems
      Limitations of Snort and Other Intrusion Detection Systems
      How does Snort Work
      Configuring Snort
      - Preprocessors
      - Rule Matching, Writing Custom Rules
      - Logging options, including Database Systems
      Tuning to Reduce Noise and Increase Performance
      Where to Place Snort Boxes on a Network
      Security Concerns
      Real-time and Offline Analysis Tools
      Configuring Snort for Active Response

      Come hear long time Linux guru Drew Beach talk about
      using Snort to protect office and home networks.

      Drew Beach's Autobiography:

      As a consultant, my work involves developing large
      scale Internet based applications and systems,
      always with security as a design consideration
      instead of an afterthought. The companies I have
      designed applications and systems for include 3Com
      Corporation, Secure Computing Corporation, and NEC
      Systems, Inc, as well as many others.

      My major areas of security focus include building secure
      applications, securing servers, firewall configuration,
      network design and intrusion detection. I am a SANS GIAC
      Certified Incident Handler and Advisory Board member.
      <http://www.sans.org/giactc/GCIH_board.htm> I am active
      in the Linux community, promoting security awareness and
      understanding. Aside from that, I spend most of my free
      time keeping up to date with the rapid changes in security
      and computing.

      Please come and join many of us for informal chatting,
      a buffalo burger and beer at the Firehouse Restaraunt,
      a very short walk from Digital Domain.

      _Special_ Map, Driving Directions, Aerial Photo URL:
      Viewing is highly recommended for ease of parking
      and entry and finding the theatre at the facility.

      Digital Domain is a SECURE FACILITY

      Parking either on 3rd Street or in the DD parking lot,
      which is on 3rd Street, to the east of Digital Domain.
      Rose and Hampton Drive are good parking areas, too.

      To walk or drive in push the 'button' on speaker box
      to left of the driveway to have the guard open the
      gate. Go talk to the guard and say "LULA" and
      he will direct you to the meeting theatre.