UUASC-LA August 2001 Program

  • Hershel Remer by way of Peter Benjamin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26 4:27 PM
      please forward to the appropriate places.....

      UUASC-LA
      Unix Users Association of Southern California -- Los Angeles
      August 2001 Meeting

      Cutting to The Core of The Red Hat Kernel

      Thursday, Aug. 2, 7-9 pm

      Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      222 N. Sepulveda in El Segundo
      10th Floor -- Martinique Room

      Topic:

      A Red Hat Linux user powers up a freshly installed computer. Within
      moments, the system is up, ready for login. But, does he or she have any
      idea of what just happened during that time in between the moment in which
      they hit the power button and the instant at which they were logged in?

      Does he or she realize how the boot PROM and FLASH memory were able to load
      the tiny executable from the crucial master boot record of
      the hard disk? Is the user aware of how that binary in turn found the
      correct disk partition from which to load the kernel? Has the user ever
      heard of the following?:

      /sbin/init
      /etc/rc.d
      /etc/inttab
      /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint
      /etc/rc.d/rc

      At the August meeting, UUASC's Don Gibbs, a JPL engineer, will help
      us all to be able to answer "yes" to those questions and more, when
      he describes his findings after examining the RHAT Linux bootup process for
      the past year.

      Come on, people. This isn't some local LUG in the middle of Hicksville,
      Missouri, where you can slide by with Installfests and free doughnuts. This
      is UUASC. You need to bring your " A " game
      to our meetings. And, that means being prepared to take notes and
      to learn something.

      Don works at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena where he
      tests and integrates spacecraft. Specifically, he devises QA tests
      at the system level to assure that hardware behaves as expected,
      and that the hardware integrates perfectly when combined with flight
      software. Prior to that, Don was working on JPL's ground
      communication applications for the Deep Space Network.

      Don earned an MSCE at USC, and a BS in computer science at UC Irvine.

      Location:

      Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      222 N. Sepulveda in El Segundo
      10th Floor -- Martinique Room

      ( The tall Oracle building at the corner of Grand and Sepulveda )

      The unixrabbi's Updated Directions and Parking Information --

      Parking:

      Convenient parking is located next to the Sun office building in the
      adjacent parking structure. Entrance is on the Eastbound side of Grand
      Avenue. The parking structure is staffed from 7 am to 8:30 pm. After 8:30,
      parking is free, but when you reach the gate when you exit, you need to
      place your parking ticket in the appropriate box after pressing the button
      on the intercom to notify the guard that the gate needs to be opened. Please
      inform someone from Sun if you need to leave early, and they will gladly
      validate your parking stub.

      Building:

      Entrances to the Oracle building are located on the North and South sides of
      the building. However, after business hours, the ones on the North side are

      locked from both the inside and the outside, so only use the doors on the
      South side of the building. The doors on the South may be locked to the
      outside, but the guard can be notified to come open it by knocking on the
      door.

      Elevators:

      Use the elevators on the East side of the building. When the elevator opens
      on the 10th floor, turn to your left and enter the offices of Sun. Follow
      the signs from there to the Martinique room. We look forward to seeing you
      in there.

      Directions:

      >From the South via Interstate 405:

      Exit the 405 Freeway on El Segundo Boulevard. At the end of the
      off ramp, turn left onto El Segundo Boulevard at the end of the
      off ramp. Proceed approximately 3 miles to Sepulveda Boulevard.
      Turn right onto Sepulveda Boulevard. Stay in the right lane and
      take another right onto Grand Avenue. Pass the building on the
      corner completely and turn into the second driveway on the right
      where the sign says "222." The first driveway is the service road.

      >From the North via Interstate 405:

      Exit the 405 Freeway onto El Segundo Boulevard. At the end of the off ramp,
      turn left onto La Cienega Boulevard (get into the right lane). Turn right
      at the light onto El Segundo Boulevard. Proceed approximately 3 miles to
      Sepulveda Boulevard. Turn right onto Sepulveda Boulevard. Stay in the right
      lane and take another right onto Grand Avenue. Pass the building on the
      corner completely and
      turn into the second driveway on the right where the sign says "222." The
      first driveway is the service road.

      Note:

      The following are available for us at the meeting:

      - Coffee
      - Water
      - Restrooms
      - Telephones

      However, there are *no* vending machines, and Sun will not be able
      to provide any kind of food/refreshment at this time.

      Also, for any questions on how to get there, call 310-607-2400.
      However, that number won't be available after business hours
      (5:30). After that time, call 310-607-2560.

      UUASC wants to especially thank member Matt Ingenthron of Sun, our meeting
      host, for his excellent hospitality. And, UUASC-LA wants to thank our host,
      Sun Microsystems, for the continued support of our meetings.

      UUASC is for all persons using UNIX either personally or professionally, or
      interested in learning more about UNIX. We recognize all varieties of UNIX,
      including (without prejudice) SCO, Linux, SVr4, Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, and
      BSD. This is a good place to meet others with similar interests and broaden
      your skills and knowledge.

      There are two UUASC chapters serving Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
      Meeting locations for each chapter are detailed at our web site,

      www.uuasc.org. Please visit our web site.

      There are no dues or other membership requirements. More than 200 persons
      receive our monthly email newsletter, and more than 150 persons receive our
      daily emails from our members. Meeting attendance varies to as high as 50.
      Volunteers manage the club and more volunteers are always needed.

      Los Angeles County Chapter meetings are held the first Thursday of each
      month from 7 to 9 pm ( or whenever we feel like stopping ). Generally,
      meetings include a technical presentation on a hardware

      or software topic of current interest to the UNIX community and a
      round-table discussion of current topics of interest to the group. UUASC-LA
      needs future topic suggestions (and volunteers)!!