Nov 11th meeting: Amanda and Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2000
      I am very pleased to remind us all that the next meeting will feature Mr.
      Chris Dollmont.

      In the first hour he will be discussing tape backup and recovery methods.
      He will be showcasing Amanda (The Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk
      Archiver (http://www.amanda.org/) to connect/backup *nix boxen and NT
      server file shares.

      This will include a live demonstration with a Linux box / SCSI DAT
      drive to connect to the NT box, as well as demonstrating remote Linux
      client setup and backup. The emphasis will be on the important and
      practical aspects of data backup and recovery.

      In the second half of the morning session Mr. Dollmont will be
      reviewing Mac OS X. This hour long session will walk us through the
      basic features and design considerations as well as a demonstration of
      Aqua, the GUI on top of OS X. We will be seeing how much like Unix this OS
      is. Compatibility issues with OS 9 applications will be included.

      The above morning session begins at 10 am and will conclude at 12:30 pm.

      Mr. Dollmont is an excellent speaker/teacher with a deep understanding of
      Linux, computers and day to day issues facing telecomunications
      professionals. You won't be disappointed.

      The afternoon session (from 1 pm to 4 pm) will be open, allowing for
      an interactive workshop. Bring along any hardware that you are working
      with. We have lots of table space, power strips and high speed Internet
      access. If you can, please bring some long network patch cords to connect
      to one of the two switches in the room. (20 foot in length would be
      helpful).

      The sessions are held at

      Creative Computers
      2555 West 190th Street
      Torrance, CA 90504-6002

      For any additional information please check our web-site at

      http://www.linuxatlax.org/meetings.html

      Thank you.

      Ismet

      Ismet Kursunoglu