Linuxatlax Networking tutorial Sat Oct 14

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2000
      I am most pleased to announce that John H Terpstra (of the Samba team and
      VP at Turbolinux) will be putting on a full day practical networking
      tutorial at our next meeting.

      During this session he will build a sample corporate network using Linux.
      This will include the deployment of several boxes including two fire-walls
      (to setup a "DMZ" for the internal network) as well as other boxes with
      these services; DNS, FTP, Web, Squid, PostgreSQL, Mail (external), Mail
      (Internal), Samba, DHCP, IMAP, and finally the incorporation of NT4
      workstation along with Linux based workstations (us!).

      This session will be very interactive- be forewarned as John will ask
      for volunteers from the floor to help speed things up. To quote him
      "Better tell all my victims (attendees) that they can come along expecting
      to get involved." (don't worry- John won't bite!)

      Anyone of you who wants to bring your own notebook/computer along to get
      patched into the "model company" network should and is encouraged to do
      so.

      The basic idea is to deploy a network with this topology;

      ------------
      | Internet |-------|
      ------------ |
      ------------
      | Firewall |
      ------------
      | ------------
      ----------------------| Firewall |-----------------
      | | ------------ | |
      --------- --------- --------- ---------
      | Box-A | | Box-B | | Box-C | | Box-D |
      --------- --------- --------- ---------

      This will be built using the following:

      1. An internet connection
      2. 2 x Machines with dual ethernet for use as firewalls
      3. 2 x HUBs
      4. 4 x Boxes as follows:
      Box-A: Linux - DNS, FTP, Web
      Box-B: Linux - Squid, PostgreSQL, Mail (external)
      Box-C: Linux - Mail (Internal), Samba, DNS, DHCP, IMAP
      Box-D: MS Windows NT4 Workstation

      The idea is that by the end of the day attendees will understand the
      techniques, practical aspects and pitfalls of deploying such a network.

      And of course as usual we should have lots of fun as we learn.

      Look forward to seeing you all there on Sat Oct 14 at our eLinux digs.
      More info as this develops will be posted over at
      http://www.linuxatlax.org in the meetings section.

      Pass the information on as you like. Thanks for your attention.

      best regards,