Re: Any inexpensive way to run server at home

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
      Not really. The secondary server is usually at some other site
      run by a friend. In return, you maintain a copy of his DNS record
      at your server, and act as his secondary.
      - Dan

      --
      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
    • witten
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
        You can also get free secondary (or even primary) DNS service from
        soa.granitecanyon.com

        Dan

        On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

        > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
        >
        > Not really. The secondary server is usually at some other site
        > run by a friend. In return, you maintain a copy of his DNS record
        > at your server, and act as his secondary.
        > - Dan
        >
        > Richard Wang wrote:
        > >
        > > I am ruunnig linux with DSL connetciton and one static IP address. If I want
        > > to run DNS at home, do I need two
        > > IP addresses for primary and secondary server?
        > >
        > > Dan Kegel wrote:
        > >
        > > > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>

        > > > internic.net is the usual place to go.

        > > > You have to make sure your ISP allows it. A static IP address
        > > > is normally a must, too. ADSL ISP's are usually cool with both
        > > > things. Dialup and cable ISPs usually charge extra.
        > --
        > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)

        > ONElist: your connection to online communities.

      • Richard Wang
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 1999
          I try a few time to go to soa.granitecanyon.com, their server seems down......

          Another question make me confused is that when apply for a domain, they ask for the
          DNS server name and IP address.
          For people want to set up the DNS server themselves, they don't have those
          information now. How should this work out?

          Richard