Any inexpensive way to run server at home

  • cmwang@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
      Hi,
      I am thinking to run DNS server and mail server
      at home for fun and learning. Any suggestion of
      economic way? Anybody have experience doing that?

      Richard
    • Frank Keeney
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
        Most xDSL services will allow you to do this.

        Pasadena Networks, Inc. http://pasadena.net
        Network Security Tel: 310-967-8175

        On 1 Sep 1999 cmwang@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I am thinking to run DNS server and mail server
        > at home for fun and learning. Any suggestion of
        > economic way? Anybody have experience doing that?
        >
        > Richard

      • Erik Hovland
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
          > Hi,
          > I am thinking to run DNS server and mail server
          > at home for fun and learning. Any suggestion of
          > economic way? Anybody have experience doing that?

          If you actually want the domain/mail server on the internet you will have
          to get a domain ($70). I would try places like register.com or some such.

          Otherwise, all the software for running a DNS server and mail server comes
          with any decent distribution of linux (or *BSD for that matter).

          Erik Hovland
          SC Linux User Group President
          http://sclug.usc.edu/~ehovland/
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
            Erik Hovland wrote:
            > > I am thinking to run DNS server and mail server
            > > at home for fun and learning. Any suggestion of
            > > economic way? Anybody have experience doing that?
            >
            > If you actually want the domain/mail server on the internet you will have
            > to get a domain ($70). I would try places like register.com or some such.

            internic.net is the usual place to go.

            > Otherwise, all the software for running a DNS server and mail server comes
            > with any decent distribution of linux (or *BSD for that matter).

            You have to make sure your ISP allows it. A static IP address
            is normally a must, too. ADSL ISP's are usually cool with both
            things. Dialup and cable ISPs usually charge extra.
            (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
          • Richard Wang
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
              I am ruunnig linux with DSL connetciton and one static IP address. If I want
              to run DNS at home, do I need two
              IP addresses for primary and secondary server?

              Ricahrd

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
                Not really. The secondary server is usually at some other site
                run by a friend. In return, you maintain a copy of his DNS record
                at your server, and act as his secondary.
                - Dan

                --
                (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
              • witten
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
                  You can also get free secondary (or even primary) DNS service from
                  soa.granitecanyon.com

                  Dan

                  On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

                  > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
                  >
                  > Not really. The secondary server is usually at some other site
                  > run by a friend. In return, you maintain a copy of his DNS record
                  > at your server, and act as his secondary.
                  > - Dan
                  >
                  > Richard Wang wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am ruunnig linux with DSL connetciton and one static IP address. If I want
                  > > to run DNS at home, do I need two
                  > > IP addresses for primary and secondary server?
                  > >
                  > > Dan Kegel wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>

                  > > > internic.net is the usual place to go.

                  > > > You have to make sure your ISP allows it. A static IP address
                  > > > is normally a must, too. ADSL ISP's are usually cool with both
                  > > > things. Dialup and cable ISPs usually charge extra.
                  > --
                  > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)

                  > ONElist: your connection to online communities.

                • Richard Wang
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 1999
                    I try a few time to go to soa.granitecanyon.com, their server seems down......

                    Another question make me confused is that when apply for a domain, they ask for the
                    DNS server name and IP address.
                    For people want to set up the DNS server themselves, they don't have those
                    information now. How should this work out?

                    Richard