USCLUG sponsoring IA-64 linux demonstration

  • Erik Hovland
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 11:30 AM
      Sorry for the late notice but it has been difficult getting the
      particulars nailed down. I would appreciate it if you posted this
      message amongst your member mailing lists. TIA.

      The short list:
      o When: 2000-04-12 @ 7pm
      o Where: GFS-106, University Park Campus
      o What: linux running on an 850 Mhz Itanium processor

      The long PR:
      The USC Linux User Group is proud to host a one night exhibition
      of the the Intel Itanium processor running linux. Come see the soon to
      be released Intel 64-bit processor, the Itanium. After nearly 7 years
      of development Intel is ready to enter the 64-bit arena with what is
      most likely the most aggressive leap in processing technology in the
      last ten years. On top of that everyone's favorite free operating
      system is already ported to it, adding to linux' long list of
      supported platforms.
      The processor by itself is only exciting to you hardware junkies
      out there who feel the need for speed. But linux running on top of it,
      opens it up to the large realm of free software instantly. The
      demonstration will highlight this and will show off some of the
      processor's features to exploit things close to the University
      communities heart, like floating point execution unparalleled by any
      other processor except maybe the alpha.
      This event is FREE and we will be giving out CDs and t-shirts as
      supplies last.
      Please check the USC LUG website (http://linux.usc.edu/) for more
      information as it comes in.

      See you there.

      Erik Hovland
      USC Linux User Group President
      http://sclug.usc.edu/~ehovland/
      GnuPG public key: http://sclug.usc.edu/~ehovland/ehovland.gpg

      "Your bastard child of a network has grown up, gone to counseling
      and doesn't want to talk to you anymore." - shupe