Installfest promotion ideas

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 1999
      Guys,
      there was just a huge (800-person) Installfest in Austria.
      LinuxToday has a page about it at
      http://linuxtoday.com/stories/9324.html

      Their web page looks really good; check it out at
      http://www.futurezone.net/party/
      Click on the words "Anmeldung" or "Bitte melden!"
      to see their sign-up form.
      The same simple form is used for users and instructors; it says

      LET'S PARTY!

      I know enough Linux to be able to help others.
      __ YES __ NO

      The computer I'm bringing is running ...

      __ Win3.x/95/98/NT
      __ MacOS
      __ other
      __ I'm not bringing a computer

      My email address is: ____________________

      When you submit the form, it says

      Thanks for signing up for the Linux Install Party

      IN: Siemens Forum
      ON: Friday 27th August
      AT: from 4pm until we collapse

      => Free WetWare from Kapsreiter (Brewery)
      => OpenSource Pizza from Pizzaman
      => 30 Copies of SuSE Linux to be given away
      => DJs Abraxas and Vaz [FM4] will be in the house

      F U T U R E Z O N E . N E T
      Nothing's more exciting than the future.
      http://www.futurezone.net

      We might want to emulate some of their ideas, like the
      way they used the web site to attract over 100 volunteer
      instructors (they offered a bounty of 1 year free
      Internet access and a free copy of Suse Linux for each
      instructor).

      Part of their success was due to active sponsorship from Siemens --
      and free beer, pizza, and DJ'd music.

      A small writeup in German with pictures is at
      http://futurezone.orf.at/futurezone.orf?read=detail&id=3158

      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 1999
        Dan Kegel wrote:

        > From: Dan Kegel <dank@...>
        >
        > Guys,
        > there was just a huge (800-person) Installfest in Austria.
        > LinuxToday has a page about it at
        > http://linuxtoday.com/stories/9324.html
        >
        > Their web page looks really good; check it out at
        > http://www.futurezone.net/party/

        Hi,

        Linuxatlax - http://www.linuxatlax.org is sponsoring a full day
        of demos, installs etc.. as part of the Linux Demo Day
        http://www.linuxdemo.org

        Our day will be a bit early and occur during our regular meeting cycle-
        but last from 10am to 5 pm.

        If any of you would like to join us or refer folks over please do so.
        I have been trying to get some sponsors for donations- waiting for the
        beta from Corel's distribution; SuSE and Caldera are sending things as
        well as other groups who are supporting the event. (see the
        home page above).

        Is any other group planning something during this week? Could we create
        a meta- lug install fest for that week, late notice but maybe with some
        press coverage we could get folks mobilized.

        thanks

        Ismet

        ibk@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 1999
          Ismet Kursunoglu wrote:
          > Linuxatlax - http://www.linuxatlax.org is sponsoring a full day
          > of demos, installs etc.. as part of the Linux Demo Day
          > http://www.linuxdemo.org
          >
          > Our day will be a bit early and occur during our regular meeting cycle-
          > but last from 10am to 5 pm.
          >
          > If any of you would like to join us or refer folks over please do so.
          > I have been trying to get some sponsors for donations- waiting for the
          > beta from Corel's distribution; SuSE and Caldera are sending things as
          > well as other groups who are supporting the event. (see the
          > home page above).

          Cool.

          > Is any other group planning something during this week? Could we create
          > a meta- lug install fest for that week, late notice but maybe with some
          > press coverage we could get folks mobilized.

          Yes. If you look at http://www.lalugs.org, you'll see that
          LILAX, OCLUG, and Simi-Conejo LUG are all listed at
          www.linuxdemo.org as official participants, and USC is planning
          an installfest for 9/9 (three days before Demo Day).

          If someone wants to design a flier that mentions all four
          events, plus maybe the LULA installfest on 9/19,
          it might make it easier for the rest of us to help out.
          I'd be glad to put up a few fliers...

          In fact, maybe I'll post a little announcement to la.general
          and la.seminars.

          (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)