Microsoft's bug-finding

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2000
      A Bug's Life
      "Microsoft's
      bug-finding work is
      a tireless pursuit of
      perfection that goes
      on seven days a
      week, 52 weeks a
      year. It is performed
      by bug busters
      such as Scott
      Emmons, who
      oversees the
      Stress Lab, where
      computers are put
      through obstacle
      courses to see
      where they crash
      and burn. "

      http://www.forbes.com/asap/99/0823/089.htm

      I got hold of the print version of this article showing an four page
      layout overhead photo of the "core" Windows 2000 team with their hands
      reaching
      up to the sky in a sort of religious revival stance. (If things don't
      work
      out for MS they could end up using this as a promo for some new underarm
      deodorant)

      It might be fun to create a "log photo" demonstrating the huge huge
      number of developers, testers and bug track listings etc... that go into
      the wealth of open source
      projects and then post it on our site. (including all the contributors
      and
      with e-mail contacts for example from kernel development, CPAN, Redhat,
      Debian,
      and the hundreds of *.org sites on the internet, to name a few that
      contribute to the wonderful open source code base)

      I wonder what the total number of contributors would be from such an
      evaluation.
      From there we could then give a total real world estimate of the
      development cost in comparison to commercial projects like W2K. Maybe
      this has already been done, maybe it is not possible , nor would the
      results yield any really meaningful comparison data, but it might be
      fun.

      thanks,