Re: [lula] Interest in e-commerce servers

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 1999
      Geoff Cummins wrote:
      > I have been working with setting up sites with minivend and SSL and the
      > likes. There is a few things that need to be beconsidered no matter what
      > shopping cart program you use.
      >
      > From what I can tell, in the US you need to use RSA's ssl, and you need to
      > have a license to use their encryption...
      Really? Freshmeat lists two free SSL's,
      SSLea http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/04/11/892311352.html and
      OpenSSL http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/12/23/914436268.html
      and an Apache that can use any of them
      Apache-SSL http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/06/29/899151626.html
      as well as a second way to use it with Apache:
      mod_ssl http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/08/11/902831908.html

      > you will also need to have a certificate for your site.
      Right. Certificates cost $100-$500; see
      http://www.thawte.com/prices/comparison.html

      > So it might be kind of hard to have out of the box e-commerce servers, the
      > closest is redhats secure server, it comes with a license to use RSA
      > encryption.
      I get the feeling it doesn't have to cost a dime, except for
      the certificate. I still haven't played with it myself,
      though, so I don't know how well the free stuff works.
      (Or the commercial stuff, either.)

      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)