White House, industry seek to close digital divide

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 1999
      Sure would be nice if there could be open source representation at such
      events-
      if you want to really close the "gap" let folks use and learn about free
      software.

      In fact I would like to start an on going open educational forum with
      classes once a week covering computers, networking, OSS, Linux etc..
      Start from the
      beginning, developing the course work, lectures etc... Then let folks
      build their own systems, load Linux for example, get them on the
      Internet (Lafn.org is good
      for that). Then most importantly teach folks how to get about in this
      technology laden world.

      We might be able to use the Civic center in Manhattan Beach to do this.
      It could
      easily accommodate 200 folks.

      If anyone is interested please contact me. I think Wed or Thur nights
      would be the best for such presentations. If we split up the
      presentations then we could
      cover lots of ground.

      best regards,

      Ismet