Interest in e-commerce servers

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26 9:12 PM
      There seems to be a lot of interest in "e-commerce servers".

      I was just at a leadership meeting of the LA chapter of
      the AIP (Association of Internet Professionals), who
      are trying to get away from their recent mostly-business
      orientation and back a bit more towards a balance between
      business, creative, and technical. They seemed quite
      receptive towards the idea of an e-commerce-server installfest.

      The UCLA Extension guy got ahold of me, and is indeed interested
      in setting up an extension class on "How to do e-commerce with Linux".

      Now all we need to do is decide what in the heck an e-commerce
      server is :-)
      It probably needs SSL, a shopping cart, and a credit card processing
      system. I hear Minivend (http://www.minivend.com/) is GPL, and
      has those things. Anyone have experience with it or similar tools?

      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
    • Charlie Blanchard
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26 9:20 PM
        Dan,

        As it so happens - setting up e-commerce solutions using Minivend is how I make
        my living! I love it...

        -- charlie
        Charlie Blanchard
        direct: 626-447-3092

        Studio Media Services
        951 North Ontario St. Burbank, CA 91505
        818-840-8294

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27 7:43 AM
          > > system. I hear Minivend (http://www.minivend.com/) is GPL, and
          > > has those things. Anyone have experience with it or similar tools?
          > >
          > > - Dan
          > >
          > > --
          > > (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)

          There is a review of Minivend in

          Linux Journal #62 -- June 1999

          On-line for subscribers at -

          http://interactive.linuxjournal.com/Magazines/LJ62/3301.html

          For the fun of it I installed the demo version on a Redhat 6.0 system.
          Worked very well including some cool scripts for getting needed Perl
          modules from CPAN.

          The on-line docs are quite complete.

          http://www.minivend.com/iri/mvend.html

          regards,