290Re: LINUX HELP

    Oct 23, 2000
      silverhawkeye@... wrote:
      > Hi Dan,
      > Got your name and e-mail from the LINUX Format magazine. I have been trying
      > to install linux on my classroom computers and finally got the right
      > configuration to get on-line here in my classroom. I need help to setup a
      > network of eleven old Zenith computers that are only 120 MgHz and 1.25 Gig
      > HD, w/ 16 megs of memory. Windows OS does not help for networking. I am
      > trying to see if Linux will be the key to share printers and do some
      > "whiteboard type of teaching and sharing" on a network.
      > Anyway, would appreciate your advice about support somewhere in the Southern
      > California area for LINUX 7.1 Slackware or Red Hat.
      > Thanks,
      > Larry Hawk

      Hi Larry,
      check out http://www.lalugs.org, it's a directory of all the local
      user groups. Many of our groups sponsor periodic installfests,
      and would be interested in helping you out.

      16 megabytes isn't a whole lot! You'll need to slim down your
      installations (one tiny writeup on this subject is
      http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Small-Memory.html )
      or use a specialized distribution that caters to the low-memory crowd.
      One list of them is at http://www.softpanorama.org/Freenix/minidistributions.shtml

      Are you planning to run Linux on each of your computers?
      Have you checked out http://www.seul.org/edu/ yet, btw?
      Give me a call at 323 931 6717 if you want to chat.
      - Dan