24Re: Any inexpensive way to run server at home

    Sep 1, 1999
      Erik Hovland wrote:
      > > I am thinking to run DNS server and mail server
      > > at home for fun and learning. Any suggestion of
      > > economic way? Anybody have experience doing that?
      >
      > If you actually want the domain/mail server on the internet you will have
      > to get a domain ($70). I would try places like register.com or some such.

      internic.net is the usual place to go.

      > Otherwise, all the software for running a DNS server and mail server comes
      > with any decent distribution of linux (or *BSD for that matter).

      You have to make sure your ISP allows it. A static IP address
      is normally a must, too. ADSL ISP's are usually cool with both
      things. Dialup and cable ISPs usually charge extra.
      (The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic