[Kayak Fishing Forum sponsored by Pack and Paddle Forum] Re: Cam Cleat Install Question (Yak Rigging )

  • Kayak Fishing Forum sponsored by Pack and
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 7:14 AM
      Yahoo Groups Message Board,

      A new post has been made to a forum to which you have assigned as moderator on the Kayak Fishing Forum sponsored by Pack and Paddle Forum

      Subject : Re: Cam Cleat Install Question
      Forum : Yak Rigging
      Posted by : Phobia

      Please have a look at it after you have logged in on the site.

      Message:
      -----
      Yea the pictures are not mine. I found that on the internet and it resembles what I am picturing in my head.

      I have a 3# claw anchor, its tiny and plenty of holding power. Now I have like 10 extra pad eyes just hanging around and thought about going that route.

      Now I do like BARK's idea of a carabiner and a pulley. Easy removal for transport and storage but effective.

      Now possibly removing the pulley altogether and using a round carabiner such as this one
      http://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/circle.jpg

      The rope would slide up and down on the round smooth edge of it easy enough I would think.

      Now another question, I am planning on installing the cam cleat right behind the seat on the flat horizontal section next to the recessed rod holder. Any where along the side would be angled even down towards the water and I believe this would make it much easier to work its way out the top or it would be angled into the boat with me. This would put more to get in the way.

      I am thinking rope spool attached to milk crate directly behind seat, cam cleat off to the left of it. Rope then runs through pad eye and towards rear of boat through a system similar to BARK's.

      Now I have two concerns with this setup. 1) Anchor trolley setup I have allows me to disengage myself from anchor and with anchor float come back to it. This system won't allow that. 2) If anchor gets hung up on something on bottom. All your pull force is distributed to the rear of boat thus removing how much force you can use to free the anchor (anchor is attached correctly with zip tie). Then it would be really tough to get anchor free.
      -----

      Do not answer to this e-mail notification as it is a generated e-mail.

      ** Powered by Kunena! - http://www.Kunena.com **
    • Kayak Fishing Forum sponsored by Pack and
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 10:59 AM
        Yahoo Groups Message Board,

        A new post has been made to a forum to which you have assigned as moderator on the Kayak Fishing Forum sponsored by Pack and Paddle Forum

        Forum : Yak Rigging
        Posted by : bmac

        Please have a look at it after you have logged in on the site.

        Message:
        -----
        I haven't tried it yet, but I am planning on using the small harken pulleys from my current anchor trolley. I'm going to use about 15' of thin (1/8" or so) shock cord you get from academy, for each anchor. I checked already and if I tie a knot in the end they will still pass through the pulleys. I also bought some fender washers that have a hole just large enough to get the cord through. So my setup will be the knot (on the inboard side of the pulley), a washer, a float, then an anchor. I'll use cleats to tie off the cord at my side, and if I have to dump the anchor then I just uncleat and the knot should pass right through the pulley but the fender washer will keep it from going through the float.

        If it works well then I may use a pair of those expensive cam cleats above to make fine adjustments that much easier, but until then I am using the $5 zig zag cleats.

        For my anchor I bought a pair of 5lb ankle weights from academy. They are neoprene and should be pretty quiet as they bump into the sides of the yak. They might not hold too well in a current though, but I have seen plenty of people using a 5lb flat weight or the womens dumbells already.

        I'm going this route because I have found a stake out pole to be a PITA and I always seem to hit the side of my yak with it when I pull it out of the keeper. It makes a nice thump even though it is PVC.
        -----

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 11:14 AM
          Yahoo Groups Message Board,

          A new post has been made to a forum to which you have assigned as moderator on the Kayak Fishing Forum sponsored by Pack and Paddle Forum

          Forum : Yak Rigging
          Posted by : Mung

          Please have a look at it after you have logged in on the site.

          Message:
          -----
          Personally, i like the plough anchor, which holds great with little weight. In Winter and spring the winds push you all over the place, and the claw anchor or dumbells, even 5+# will not hold. The plough weighs 1kg, and digs into sand or silt to keep you in position. Got mine at Pack & Paddle in the back by the paddles.
          -----

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1 12:26 PM

            bmac wrote:
[...]

            I'm going this route because I have found a stake out pole to be a PITA and I always seem to hit the side of my yak with it when I pull it out of the keeper. It makes a nice thump even though it is PVC. Excellent post Bmac!!

            I was trying to figure out a way with this setup, if I need to disengage from anchor to fight a fish then come back to the anchor. The idea with the float on the "water side" of the pulley and washer to prevent it from from off or getting sucked into pulley is excellent idea.

            I do have couple questions, where are you attaching these pulleys? Are you just using the anchor trolley setup? I could continue to use my anchor trolley I just found it to be more trouble and more stuff than it was worth.

            Only issue I am concerned with is the location the anchor is going into the water. It takes you away from the anchor.

            I might end up staying with anchor trolley and just learn to deal with it. Then just use cam cleat as my cleat which would make disengaging from anchor even easier. Rather than the SS carabiner & float system I am using now.

            I must admit, the more I think about it and weight the pros and cons the anchor trolley is most likely the best option. I just hate all the cords
            -----

            Do not answer to this e-mail notification as it is a generated e-mail.