Freshwater Only?

  • rsab72
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2008
      I have been fishing fresh water only and I am a little tired of it. I
      have a basic bass pole. I need pointers on some gear to purchase for
      fishing out at the point in my kayak. Rod and tackle tips and maybe I
      can tag along on some outings and meetings to get up to speed. I have
      been a member of the yahoo group but not attended any meetings. Can I
      just show up to the meetings. Any Dues?

      Thanks,
      Ronny B.
    • Greg Sonnier
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
        Ronny,
        Yes, you can just show up at the meeting as they are open to members and guests.  You can learn a ton from members at the meeting.  Most of us fish with bass/light tackle such as a light spinning reel or a baitcaster. What you have will most probably work for now but just be aware of your gear w/ the saltwater.  I prefer saltwater model/inshore rods and reels.  I also prefer using a spinning reel from a kayak.  I believe its just easier to handle from a yak versus a baitcaster.  We also have some fly fishermen in the group who are willing to share their knowledge.
        As far as bait goes, my suggestions are 1/8 oz jigheads, Norton San Ell Jr-white w/ chartreuse tail, 3" Gulp Shrimp, 1" comal weightless slip cork.  I also fish the speculizer rig which amounts to a big oval cork, monofilament leader with a white or glow endura shrimp or the DOA is OK.  Many people like the purple/chartreuse cocahoe minnow for reds.   If you like throwing topwaters, spook jr's, top dogs, she pups etc all work.
        We are finalizing our membership package and we'll be ready to start accepting dues in Jan.  $30 will get your membership, a subscription to the LA Sportsman Mag, a couple of LKFC stickers and access to all the club trips.
        Greg