Re: 100 Funniest Performances by Actresses: #99

  • allmovieblondes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2003
      Oh my goodness, HOPE SUMMERS!! She was my favorite on the Andy
      Griffith Show. She reminded me so much of the "Church ladies" in my
      local church. I believe she didn't get started in show business until
      she was 60 or so in 1960 and was fairly active up until her death in
      1979. --- In ladiesofthesilverscreen@yahoogroups.com, "STEPHEN
      ROWLEY" <SROWL984@s...> wrote:

      > 99. Hope Summers, "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" (1966) - Susanna Blush
      >
      > "I was just getting ready to brush my teeth and watch Lawrence Welk,
      when BANG!"

      > Summers' brief appearance at the beginning of this film as the
      hysterical Susanna Blush is one of the funniest moments in film
      comedy, and this film remains one of the most underrated by classic
      film fans in general, who tend to dismiss Knotts' mediocre film career
      as a whole. Her tirade at the beginning, in which she convinces the
      nervous Luther Heggs (Don Knotts, in arguably his best film
      performance) that she saw town drunk Calver Weems (Hal Smith) murdered
      outside her house, sets the tone for the rest of the zany film, which
      draws much of its humor from the less-than-urbane eccentricities of
      the citizens of a Mayberry-like rural town.

      > Summers was most famous for her role as Miss Clara, the uppity
      friend of Aunt Bee on "The Andy Griffith Show" (which likely was how
      she was cast in this film) and - to film buffs - as one of Ruth
      Gordon's fellow witches in "Rosemary's Baby." I also recently found
      another interesting bit of trivia...she was the voice of Mrs.
      Butterworth for a time on the commercials for the famous syrup.

      > Stephen
      >
      > "Have You Ever noticed that the number of people watching you is
      direcly proportional to the stupidity of your actions?" - Charlie
      Brown, "Peanuts"