DC Police officer forced to take leave w/o pay due to breastfeeding

  • Irene Sayegh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
      I got this from another group...

      -----Original Message-----

      Sent: Thu, Jun 30, 2011 10:41 am
      Subject: [BirthOptionsAlliance] DC Police Officer forced to take leave w/o pay because she wants to BREASTFEED!

      Peace,

      A mother in DC needs our help! She is DC Police Officer and has been forced to take leave w/o pay which obviously is putting a financial strain on her family, because she wanted to continue to breastfeed her baby after returning to work. The job initially providing support, quickly changed their tone, when the mother complained about the sanitary conditions of the nursing rooms which were reported to not be up to code. At this point she was told that she would essentially have to choose between her job or continuing to breastfeed her baby.

      I say we flood the Police Chief Cathy Lanier with emails, letter, and phone calls, and maybe do something at or in front of the police Station to show our support for this mother and the injustice that she is facing. The Police Union is backing her as well!

      Thoughts!

      Here is a link to the article http://www.myfoxdc. com/dpp/news/ local/dc- police-policy- prompts-breastfe eding-officer- to-take-leave- without-pay- 062811

    • Lynnette Hafken
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
        Has she seen this?

        http://www.dcbfc.org/workplaceSupport.php
        ----
        Lynnette Hafken, MA, IBCLC
        http://www.nurslings.com
        240-888-2123

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
          I thought she had a union attorney handling this.

          Jake

          Sent from my iPad

          Jake Aryeh Marcus, J.D.

          Has she seen this?