Payless shoe store

  • blissfulbabe2005
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
      So... ladies.. I was in Payless today, in Bridgehampton, NY, and overheard the employee discussing an incident that had transpired before I had entered the store. Apparently a woman was breastfeeding her baby and had her breast exposed and another couple was shopping in the store. The couple began to give the breastfeeding woman a hard time. The employee did nothing, she told me so... I asked her, because I overheard her talking about this with her colleague, what she did.. did she protect the woman breastfeeding and explain that it is her right to breastfeed anywhere? And the employee said, "No.. I ain't getting involved with that! It isn't my business!" So, essentially she ALLOWED the breastfeeding woman to be harrassed by people in the Payless Store! Now.. being a breastfeeding mom myself, I initially felt like I should educated this employee, even that that is the job of Payless, and I told her that the woman had a right to nurse.. The employee continued on to say that it would have been better if she had covered her breast and I explained, to this obviously untrained woman, that even if she is exposed, she is still protected by the law! Then, I processed the entire experience a bit and thought to myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable nursing my daughter in that Payless store knowing that woman is in there and that she wouldn't protect me if another customer began to yell at me. So... I am upset, needless to say, for that poor mom who was attacked by another couple and I am upset that employees of Payless aren't trained and ready to respond in a situation like that. I am contacting Payless right now! Any ideas from anyone are welcome!!!!!! Looking forward to making a change in Payless!

      Melissa Mitchell
      mmitche2@...
    • Jake Marcus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
        I totally get your outrage but I would be sure in communicating with Payless that you are clear about what NYS law says and requires.

        NY CLS Civ R § 79-e (Article 7 Miscellaneous Provisions).
        1994 N.Y. ALS 98; 1994 N.Y. LAWS 98; 1994 N.Y. S.N. 3999

        § 79-E. Right To Breast Feed.
        Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breast feed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether or not the nipple of the mother's breast is covered during or incidental to the breast feeding.

        This doesn't create any obligation on the part of the Payless employees to protect a breastfeeding customer who is being harassed by another customer. You also have the problem of not having actually witnessed the harassment yourself.  I would probably stress to corporate that these employees were speaking so loudly about another customer and an incident between other customers in which they did not intervene. I think the argument to Payless that these employees need training is strongest from the corporate perspective if corporate is told that employees were loudly gossiping about another customer and speaking negatively about behavior in which you might wish to legally engage in the store. Focusing on *your* experience and *your* hesitance to return to Payless is, I think, more likely to get attention.

        Just my thoughts. :)

        Yours,

        Jake Marcus

        --
        The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
        Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  No part of this e-mail may be copied or forwarded without the express permission of the author.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
          Hi Melissa,

          My 2 cents is to just simply ask in a friendly manner that Payless make clear to all employees that breastfeeding is a protected civil right, and how to handle complaints.  Customers who have issues with seeing babies be fed should be informed about the law.  I would assume that Payless respects the law and wants to uphold the law in its stores.

          Lynnette

          On Jun 30, 2009, at 2:16 PM, blissfulbabe2005 wrote:

[...]

          mmitche2@optonline. net

        • Irene Sayegh
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
            Re: Payless shoe store Jake, you give excellent advice. Not a breastfeeding situation but a similar thing happened to me recently in a store where I overheard the employees talking negatively about a customer who had an appointment with them. The customer was on her way but the employees used her name and her nationality.  Not only was I uncomfortable but I could have easily known this woman.  I ended up contacting headquarters and gave them my experience, my discomfort and the fact that I could have known the customer. The company was outraged and handled the situation very well. They told me that they would address the employees and that they would include this in future training.

            Good luck, Melissa. Keep us posted.

            Irene