Breastfeeding Promotion Act 2009 - Is this the year?!

  • Walter Chappel
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2009
      Heads up ladies,

      I have been contacted by Rep. Maloney's office again. They are in the
      planning stages for another press conference and reintro of the bill
      this month. As soon as I have further details (they are asking me to
      organize the "nurse-in" portion as I have in the past and get as many
      supporters/activists on Capitol Hill as possible) I will let you know so
      you can rev up your contacts/organizations. I would really like to see
      a pre-press conference push by all of us to get mothers calling their
      Reps. to get more co-sponsors onto the bill and more of those Reps. to
      show up for the press conference. Last time we had only Maloney, Shays
      (who isn't even in office any more and was a consistent strong
      supporter) and Ellison. The Democratic Party controls everything now
      and we need to hold them accountable. No more excuses, this is the
      year! I am hoping Rep. Maloney's plan is to try to piggyback onto the
      legislation the House just past giving 4 weeks paid leave to Federal
      employees. Looking forward to a big push from all of you lovely,
      lactivist leaders!

      Regards,

      Lorrie Leigh
    • J Sholtis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
        Is there a schedule of events for tomorrow? Can you post the information as to where/when to meet for the nurse-in?
        Thanks,
        Jen

        --- In lactivism@yahoogroups.com, Walter Chappel <wchappel@...> wrote:

        > Heads up ladies,
        >
        > I have been contacted by Rep. Maloney's office again. They are in the
        > planning stages for another press conference and reintro of the bill
        > this month. As soon as I have further details (they are asking me to
        > organize the "nurse-in" portion as I have in the past and get as many
        > supporters/activists on Capitol Hill as possible) I will let you know so
        > you can rev up your contacts/organizations. I would really like to see
        > a pre-press conference push by all of us to get mothers calling their
        > Reps. to get more co-sponsors onto the bill and more of those Reps. to
        > show up for the press conference. Last time we had only Maloney, Shays
        > (who isn't even in office any more and was a consistent strong
        > supporter) and Ellison. The Democratic Party controls everything now
        > and we need to hold them accountable. No more excuses, this is the
        > year! I am hoping Rep. Maloney's plan is to try to piggyback onto the
        > legislation the House just past giving 4 weeks paid leave to Federal
        > employees. Looking forward to a big push from all of you lovely,
        > lactivist leaders!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Lorrie Leigh

      • Walter Chappel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
          It has been rescheduled for June 11th. I am no longer involved as the
          new date doesn't work with my schedule.

          Lorrie

        • Marshalact@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
            The introduction of the bill is on June 11. A companion bill will be
            introduced in the Senate. As soon as the bill receives a number, the US
            Breastfeeding Committee will have a mechanism on its website to send a
            letter to your legislators requesting them to sign on to the bill.
            Writing before there is a bill number is ineffective.

            Marsha Walker