Re: [lactivism] Re: New WI law requires covering [NOT]

  • Chandra Ruiz
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
      Great job Laurel! Good luck in the Senate!

      Chandra

      On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Laurel Edwards Franczek <breathe@...> wrote:

      Thanks for your insight, Jake. Here in Madison, we're well aware of
      Wisconsin Family Action since they were a big reason the Marriage
      Amendment passed. Their president, Julaine Appling, has said some
      really insane things in the past two years. I sent her a letter not
      b/c I think it'll change her mind, but just to ruffle her feathers a
      bit. Not that I expect to get a reaction.

      Dear Ms. Julaine Appling,
      I am writing in response to your legislative memorandum yesterday.
      Your 1st reference at the bottom of the page stating that the bill is
      unnecessary is very inaccurate. First of all, the incident you
      mentioned of your memo occurred before 2007, when there was no Dane
      County ordinance in existence. Senator Risser has been working to pass
      this legislation since 2005. Second, the Dane County ordinance only
      has jurisdiction on Dane County property (the airport, zoo, and
      parks), not the entire county.
      The idea of a discretion amendment completely defeats the purpose of
      this bill. What exactly is being indiscreet? This concept is
      completely in the eye of the beholder. To some, being indiscreet means
      seeing any flesh whatsoever while a woman is breastfeeding. To others,
      it's the very idea that a woman is breastfeeding in public at all that
      they consider indiscreet. So who's right and who decides? There are
      too many shades of gray here to warrant the idea of a discretion
      amendment acceptable or even enforceable.

      As for the necessity of this bill, it is absolutely necessary. I have
      stories from not just a few mothers, but dozens and dozens, who have
      been reduced to tears by ignorant employees and managers here in
      Wisconsin. What is actually reported is only the tip of the iceberg.
      It's not just insensitive comments, either. It's threatening to bring
      trespassing charges against a breastfeeding mother (Yes! This has
      happened!) unless she either stops feeding her hungry baby or leaves.
      This kind of treatment of breastfeeding mothers and their children
      makes them a second class citizen, and, in my mind, is not much
      different than refusing service to an African American before the
      Civil Rights Act of 1964. Yes, it's my civil rights that you are
      trampling all over.

      If you had been at the February 9th committee hearing you would've
      heard the story of an Illinois mother who visited the Renaissance
      Faire in Bristol, WI last summer who, after paying full entrance
      prices for tickets for her whole family, was told to leave or feed her
      child in the bathroom. Not feeling welcome, she chose to leave and was
      not reimbursed the entrance price. She swore to never spend her
      tourist dollars again in Wisconsin. Illinois has a law already in
      existence like SB 16. Breastfeeding mothers do pay attention to their
      rights and know where there are laws to protect them. One can't easily
      discount the fact that 41 other states have a law similar to SB 16.
      So, while you may think it's insignificant, this is a hit to Wisconsin
      commerce.
      Lastly, I personally take offense to the idea that your organization
      upholds family values. Your narrow definition of family is what is
      contributing to the very demise of family in this country. If
      Wisconsin state law exempts breastfeeding from being considered lewd
      behavior, then mothers should be protected from being harassed. Period.
      I'm attaching a photo from the Chazen Museum of Art here in Madison.
      It's a photo of a painting by Defendente Ferrari in 1525. He was
      commissioned by a conservative ecclesiastical patron. The painting was
      part of a two-tiered panel that was hung on an altarpiece. It is a
      painting of the Madonna breastfeeding her child, the baby Jesus. If
      this was considered appropriate to be hung in CHURCH, then why don't you?
      Sincerely,

      We had some wonderful response from WI lactivists calling their
      legislators yesterday. At the end of the day, my husband called and
      the Parisi aide chuckled to respond, "yeah, we've gotten quite a few
      calls. I don't think that amendment is going any where."

      So, here's to WI getting that bill passed INTACT AS IS! It has passed
      out of committee unanimously and is not scheduled for a vote yet in
      the Sendate. It was just read to the Assembly yesterday and referred
      to the best committee (Public Health) of which the Chair and
      Vice-Chair are both co-sponsors of the bill. YAY!

      Laurel

      --- In lactivism@yahoogroups.com, Jake Marcus <jake.a.marcus@...> wrote:

      > :)
      >
      > This is political manipulation on the part of Wisconsin Family
      Action. If
      > legislators suddenly get lots of irate calls about an outrageous modesty
      > amendment (which doesn't actually exist), I fear legislators will
      back away
      > from supporting what is now a good public breastfeeding bill. So I
      think it
      > is important that the message be a clear one: "the current bill is just
      > fine, please support it and ignore that e-mail you got from that group
      > trying to sabotage it."
      >
      > Wisconsin Family Action is clearly trying to kill the breastfeeding
      bill.
      > This is a new way of doing it but tanking a bill by making it appear
      that
      > its supporters are divided about what it should say is a very old trick.
      > Breastfeeding supporters should not appear to be divided against
      themselves.
      > Wisconsin Family Action is not a breastfeeding advocacy group. If
      you can
      > stand it, take a look around the website. It is a group seeking to
      legislate
      > how people behave in public and in private.
      >
      > There are good pending bills in a number of state legislatures right
      now.
      > As Katie Prown has pointed out, this is a good time to push through
      bills
      > that don't cost taxpayers anything so we could have a record number of
      > successes. One huge tip-off to me that Wisconsin Family Action is
      trying to
      > tank the bill, is the bit about requiring public accommodations to build
      > nursing rooms. That costs money and that could sink a bill. In the
      > Wisconsin Family Action memo (or whatever that is), it cites to
      Puerto Rican
      > public breastfeeding law as an example of a law that requires that.
      WFA is
      > counting on legislators not actually hitting that link because public
      > breastfeeding law in Puerto Rico is some of the strongest I have
      ever seen
      > with fines for harassing breastfeeding women wherever they are.
      >
      > Sorry, I am heading off into rant-land. ;) This sort of thing
      really pisses
      > me off. <grrr>
      >
      > If you are in Wisconsin, definitely contact your legislator. If you are
      > anywhere, consider having at Wisconsin Family Action. ;)
      >
      > Yours,
      > Jake
      >

      > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Chandra Ruiz <lactivistmama@...>wrote:

      > > Thanks for the clarification Jake! I was hoping someone would have
      > > clearer info.
      > >
      > > Chandra
      > >
      > > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Jake Marcus <jake.a.marcus@...>wrote:

      > >> I certainly hope that this effort is dismissed as the far right
      wing
      > >> drivel that it is. This organization (Wisconsin Family Action)
      is pretty

      <lactivistmama@...>wrote:

> [...]
      LEGAL authority
      Call or send an
      Breastfeeding

      Post]<http://www.mothering.com/discussions/report.php?p=13206335>

      > >> --
      > >> The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
      > >> individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
      > >> Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential
      and/or
      > >> privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
      forwarded
      > >> without the express permission of the author.
      > >> If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
      > >> disseminate, copy or print its contents.
      > >> If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
      reply
      > >> e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
      > >>

      > > --
      > > Chandra
      > > All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
      > > www.breastorbust.com
      > >

      > --
      > The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
      individual
      > or entity to whom it is addressed.
      > Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or
      > privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
      forwarded
      > without the express permission of the author.
      > If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
      > disseminate, copy or print its contents.
      > If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
      > e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

      --
      Chandra
      All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
      www.breastorbust.com
    • Walter Chappel
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
        NICE!

        Laurel Edwards Franczek wrote:

> [...]
        > and/or
        > forwarded
        > reply
        > > >>

        > > > --
        > > > Chandra
        > > > All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
        > > > www.breastorbust.com
        > > >

        > > --
        > > The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
        > individual
        > > or entity to whom it is addressed.
        > > Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or
        > > privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
        > forwarded
        > > without the express permission of the author.
        > > If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
        > > disseminate, copy or print its contents.
        > > If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
        > > e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

      • Jake Marcus
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
          I have tried to be careful not to show my feelings about Wisconsin Family Action because I know that breastfeeding advocates come from all over the political spectrum.  But I must admit, I had a strong response to the WFA website. ;) Definitely not MY political crowd. ;)

          Great to hear Wisconsin people made the calls and legislators heard them! I heard about this from a few different social media sources.  Keep us informed. :)

          And big shout out to Katie Prown!

          Yours,
          Jake

          <lactivistmama@...>wrote:

          LEGAL authority
          Call or send an
          Breastfeeding

          Post]<http://www.mothering.com/discussions/report.php?p=13206335>

          > >> --
          > >> The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
          > >> individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
          > >> Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential
          and/or
          > >> privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
          forwarded
          > >> without the express permission of the author.
          > >> If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
          > >> disseminate, copy or print its contents.
          > >> If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
          reply
          > >> e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
          > >>

          > > --
          > > Chandra
          > > All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
          > > www.breastorbust.com
          > >

          > --
          > The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
          individual
          > or entity to whom it is addressed.
          > Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or
          > privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
          forwarded
          > without the express permission of the author.
          > If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
          > disseminate, copy or print its contents.
          > If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
          > e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

          --
          The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
          Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  No part of this e-mail may be copied or forwarded without the express permission of the author.
          If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
          If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
        • Lynnette Hafken
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
            Hi Jake, I struggle with this too, but I try my best to follow LLL's tradition and assume positive intent, avoid mixing causes, and just focus on breastfeeding.  What a powerful force we could be, if people from ALL walks of life just supported breastfeeding together, no matter what else we happen to disagree on.

            Lynnette