Re: [lactivism] New WI law requires covering [NOT]

  • Chandra Ruiz
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2009
      Thanks for the clarification Jake! I was hoping someone would have clearer info.

      Chandra

      On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Jake Marcus <jake.a.marcus@...> wrote:

      I certainly hope that this effort is dismissed as the far right wing drivel that it is.  This organization (Wisconsin Family Action) is pretty scary in my book and I would hope that legislators would not want to be associated with any idea it promotes.

      The subject line of this list e-mail makes me a bit nervous, though.  I hope it is clear to everyone on this list that the "modesty" amendment does NOT in fact yet exist.  This post is about a statement sent to legislators from a right wing organization.  I hope people in Wisconsin let their legislators know that drafting such an amendment would be unacceptable.  There is however currently NEITHER a new WI law NOR an amendment pending to the current public breastfeeding bill.

      Yours,
      Jake Marcus

      On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Chandra Ruiz <lactivistmama@...> wrote:

      From Mothering...

      Fight WI "modesty" legislation!

      If you live in Wisconsin, please take action today!

      Wisconsin Family Action is telling legislators to amend the Right to Breastfeed Act to include a "modesty amendment" requiring mothers in public to cover themselves with a blanket or a towel (and their babies, which is not safe). They are also proposing to require business and government buildings to spend millions of dollars, including taxpayer money, to build nursing rooms in their facilities.

      This proposal is an insult to breastfeeding mothers everywhere and would give anyone from mall security to restaurant management the LEGAL authority to determine what is and what is not an acceptable degree of "modesty." Your state representative and senators need to hear from you NOW. Call or send an email telling them to vote for Senate Bill 16, the Right to Breastfeeding Act AS IS, and tell them NOT to vote for a so-called modesty amendment.

      I'm copying the link below where people can find out who their representatives are. We need to generate a lot of buzz in all offices at the Capitol so legislators hear the message loud and clear that a "modesty amendment" is NOT acceptable!

      http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

      Please forward this message far and wide, and if you are a member of Wisconsin Family Action, please call them today to register your opposition to their position. Their contact information is included below.

      Katie Prown
      Legislative Chair, Wisconsin Guild of Midwives
      Campaign Manager, The Big Push for Midwives 2009

      Wisconsin Family Action
      PO Box 1327 • Madison WI 53701-1327
      608-268-5074 (local) • 866-849-2536 (toll-free)
      608-256-3370 (fax)

      http://wisconsinfamilyaction.org
      kprown@... is offline Report Post

      --
      Chandra
      All Lactivists need stylin shirts!

      --
      The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
      Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  No part of this e-mail may be copied or forwarded without the express permission of the author.

      --
      Chandra
      All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
      www.breastorbust.com
    • Jake Marcus
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2009
        :)

        This is political manipulation on the part of Wisconsin Family Action.  If legislators suddenly get lots of irate calls about an outrageous modesty amendment (which doesn't actually exist), I fear legislators will back away from supporting what is now a good public breastfeeding bill.  So I think it is important that the message be a clear one: "the current bill is just fine, please support it and ignore that e-mail you got from that group trying to sabotage it."

        Wisconsin Family Action is clearly trying to kill the breastfeeding bill.  This is a new way of doing it but tanking a bill by making it appear that its supporters are divided about what it should say is a very old trick.  Breastfeeding supporters should not appear to be divided against themselves. Wisconsin Family Action is not a breastfeeding advocacy group.  If you can stand it, take a look around the website. It is a group seeking to legislate how people behave in public and in private.

        There are good pending bills in a number of state legislatures right now.  As Katie Prown has pointed out, this is a good time to push through bills that don't cost taxpayers anything so we could have a record number of successes.  One huge tip-off to me that Wisconsin Family Action is trying to tank the bill, is the bit about requiring public accommodations to build nursing rooms.  That costs money and that could sink a bill.  In the Wisconsin Family Action memo (or whatever that is), it cites to Puerto Rican public breastfeeding law as an example of a law that requires that. WFA is counting on legislators not actually hitting that link because public breastfeeding law in Puerto Rico is some of the strongest I have ever seen with fines for harassing breastfeeding women wherever they are.

        Sorry, I am heading off into rant-land. ;)  This sort of thing really pisses me off. <grrr>

        If you are in Wisconsin, definitely contact your legislator. If you are anywhere, consider having at Wisconsin Family Action. ;)

        Yours,
        Jake

        On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Chandra Ruiz <lactivistmama@...> wrote:

[...]

        From Mothering...

[...]

      • Laurel Edwards Franczek
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
          Thanks for your insight, Jake. Here in Madison, we're well aware of
          Wisconsin Family Action since they were a big reason the Marriage
          Amendment passed. Their president, Julaine Appling, has said some
          really insane things in the past two years. I sent her a letter not
          b/c I think it'll change her mind, but just to ruffle her feathers a
          bit. Not that I expect to get a reaction.

          Dear Ms. Julaine Appling,
          I am writing in response to your legislative memorandum yesterday.
          Your 1st reference at the bottom of the page stating that the bill is
          unnecessary is very inaccurate. First of all, the incident you
          mentioned of your memo occurred before 2007, when there was no Dane
          County ordinance in existence. Senator Risser has been working to pass
          this legislation since 2005. Second, the Dane County ordinance only
          has jurisdiction on Dane County property (the airport, zoo, and
          parks), not the entire county.
          The idea of a discretion amendment completely defeats the purpose of
          this bill. What exactly is being indiscreet? This concept is
          completely in the eye of the beholder. To some, being indiscreet means
          seeing any flesh whatsoever while a woman is breastfeeding. To others,
          it's the very idea that a woman is breastfeeding in public at all that
          they consider indiscreet. So who's right and who decides? There are
          too many shades of gray here to warrant the idea of a discretion
          amendment acceptable or even enforceable.

          As for the necessity of this bill, it is absolutely necessary. I have
          stories from not just a few mothers, but dozens and dozens, who have
          been reduced to tears by ignorant employees and managers here in
          Wisconsin. What is actually reported is only the tip of the iceberg.
          It's not just insensitive comments, either. It's threatening to bring
          trespassing charges against a breastfeeding mother (Yes! This has
          happened!) unless she either stops feeding her hungry baby or leaves.
          This kind of treatment of breastfeeding mothers and their children
          makes them a second class citizen, and, in my mind, is not much
          different than refusing service to an African American before the
          Civil Rights Act of 1964. Yes, it's my civil rights that you are
          trampling all over.

          If you had been at the February 9th committee hearing you would've
          heard the story of an Illinois mother who visited the Renaissance
          Faire in Bristol, WI last summer who, after paying full entrance
          prices for tickets for her whole family, was told to leave or feed her
          child in the bathroom. Not feeling welcome, she chose to leave and was
          not reimbursed the entrance price. She swore to never spend her
          tourist dollars again in Wisconsin. Illinois has a law already in
          existence like SB 16. Breastfeeding mothers do pay attention to their
          rights and know where there are laws to protect them. One can't easily
          discount the fact that 41 other states have a law similar to SB 16.
          So, while you may think it's insignificant, this is a hit to Wisconsin
          commerce.
          Lastly, I personally take offense to the idea that your organization
          upholds family values. Your narrow definition of family is what is
          contributing to the very demise of family in this country. If
          Wisconsin state law exempts breastfeeding from being considered lewd
          behavior, then mothers should be protected from being harassed. Period.
          I'm attaching a photo from the Chazen Museum of Art here in Madison.
          It's a photo of a painting by Defendente Ferrari in 1525. He was
          commissioned by a conservative ecclesiastical patron. The painting was
          part of a two-tiered panel that was hung on an altarpiece. It is a
          painting of the Madonna breastfeeding her child, the baby Jesus. If
          this was considered appropriate to be hung in CHURCH, then why don't you?
          Sincerely,

          We had some wonderful response from WI lactivists calling their
          legislators yesterday. At the end of the day, my husband called and
          the Parisi aide chuckled to respond, "yeah, we've gotten quite a few
          calls. I don't think that amendment is going any where."

          So, here's to WI getting that bill passed INTACT AS IS! It has passed
          out of committee unanimously and is not scheduled for a vote yet in
          the Sendate. It was just read to the Assembly yesterday and referred
          to the best committee (Public Health) of which the Chair and
          Vice-Chair are both co-sponsors of the bill. YAY!

          Laurel

          Post]<http://www.mothering.com/discussions/report.php?p=13206335>

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
            Great job Laurel! Good luck in the Senate!

            Chandra

            <lactivistmama@...>wrote:

            LEGAL authority
            Call or send an
            Breastfeeding

            Post]<http://www.mothering.com/discussions/report.php?p=13206335>

            > >> --
            > >> The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
            > >> individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
            > >> Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential
            and/or
            > >> privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
            forwarded
            > >> without the express permission of the author.
            > >> If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
            > >> disseminate, copy or print its contents.
            > >> If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
            reply
            > >> e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
            > >>

            > > --
            > > Chandra
            > > All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
            > > www.breastorbust.com
            > >

            > --
            > The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
            individual
            > or entity to whom it is addressed.
            > Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or
            > privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
            forwarded
            > without the express permission of the author.
            > If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
            > disseminate, copy or print its contents.
            > If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
            > e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

            --
            Chandra
            All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
            www.breastorbust.com
          • Walter Chappel
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
              NICE!

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
                I have tried to be careful not to show my feelings about Wisconsin Family Action because I know that breastfeeding advocates come from all over the political spectrum.  But I must admit, I had a strong response to the WFA website. ;) Definitely not MY political crowd. ;)

                Great to hear Wisconsin people made the calls and legislators heard them! I heard about this from a few different social media sources.  Keep us informed. :)

                And big shout out to Katie Prown!

                Yours,
                Jake

                <lactivistmama@...>wrote:

                LEGAL authority
                Call or send an
                Breastfeeding

                Post]<http://www.mothering.com/discussions/report.php?p=13206335>

                > >> --
                > >> The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
                > >> individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
                > >> Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential
                and/or
                > >> privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
                forwarded
                > >> without the express permission of the author.
                > >> If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
                > >> disseminate, copy or print its contents.
                > >> If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
                reply
                > >> e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
                > >>

                > > --
                > > Chandra
                > > All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
                > > www.breastorbust.com
                > >

                > --
                > The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
                individual
                > or entity to whom it is addressed.
                > Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or
                > privileged information. No part of this e-mail may be copied or
                forwarded
                > without the express permission of the author.
                > If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
                > disseminate, copy or print its contents.
                > If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
                > e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

                --
                The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
                Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  No part of this e-mail may be copied or forwarded without the express permission of the author.
                If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
                If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
              • Lynnette Hafken
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Hi Jake, I struggle with this too, but I try my best to follow LLL's tradition and assume positive intent, avoid mixing causes, and just focus on breastfeeding.  What a powerful force we could be, if people from ALL walks of life just supported breastfeeding together, no matter what else we happen to disagree on.

                  Lynnette