New WI law requires covering

  • Chandra Ruiz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2009
      From Mothering...

      Fight WI "modesty" legislation!

      If you live in Wisconsin, please take action today!

      Wisconsin Family Action is telling legislators to amend the Right to Breastfeed Act to include a "modesty amendment" requiring mothers in public to cover themselves with a blanket or a towel (and their babies, which is not safe). They are also proposing to require business and government buildings to spend millions of dollars, including taxpayer money, to build nursing rooms in their facilities.

      This proposal is an insult to breastfeeding mothers everywhere and would give anyone from mall security to restaurant management the LEGAL authority to determine what is and what is not an acceptable degree of "modesty." Your state representative and senators need to hear from you NOW. Call or send an email telling them to vote for Senate Bill 16, the Right to Breastfeeding Act AS IS, and tell them NOT to vote for a so-called modesty amendment.

      I'm copying the link below where people can find out who their representatives are. We need to generate a lot of buzz in all offices at the Capitol so legislators hear the message loud and clear that a "modesty amendment" is NOT acceptable!

      http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

      Please forward this message far and wide, and if you are a member of Wisconsin Family Action, please call them today to register your opposition to their position. Their contact information is included below.

      Katie Prown
      Legislative Chair, Wisconsin Guild of Midwives
      Campaign Manager, The Big Push for Midwives 2009

      Wisconsin Family Action
      PO Box 1327 • Madison WI 53701-1327
      608-268-5074 (local) • 866-849-2536 (toll-free)
      608-256-3370 (fax)

      http://wisconsinfamilyaction.org
      kprown@... is offline Report Post

      --
      Chandra
      All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2009
        Really sad. I conjure up an image of a mom with a little towel over her head and a baby with a blanket over him, leaving his face open to the air and mom's face and breast of course. Not exactly sure what that'd accomplish but they're the experts...
        I'm wondering though what offense the child will be charged with should he throw his arm out removing the cover and breaking the law. Possibly it will be based upon the basic intent of the child, leading to first, second and third degree offenses.
        linda