Need help finding moms for breast cancer study

  • tmlieberman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      This is Tanya Lieberman. I'm a lactation consultant and run the
      Motherwear Breastfeeding Blog.

      I'm writing to ask for your help in finding moms to participate in a
      great study at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst on breast cancer.

      The study needs participants who are nursing mothers who have recently
      had, or are expecting to have, a breast biopsy.

      As you may know, long before a woman might notice a lump in her
      breast, there are changes at the DNA of epithelial cells in the
      breast. Some of these cells are expressed in breastmilk, and the
      study is examining these cells to try to identify molecular biomarkers
      for the development of breast cancer. One possible outcome of this
      research is the development of an early, non-invasive method of
      assessing breast cancer risk through breastmilk.

      If any of you meet mothers who have recently had a biopsy, or are
      expecting to have one in the near future, please refer them to Dr.
      Sarah Lenington, recruitment coordinator: slenington@... If
      you'd like study flyers and brochures, please email. More information
      is at the study website: www.breastmilkresearch.org

      Thank you so much!

      Tanya Lieberman, IBCLC

      www.breastmilkresearch.org