Facebook : action planned --- and help requested

  • Janice Reynolds
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2008
      Action planned this weekend against Facebook

      ----

      The free Internet utility Facebook, with its tens of millions of users,
      still removes from its pages photographs of women breastfeeding, despite
      complaints about that practice beginning well over a year ago. This
      Saturday, December 27, two events will occur:

      1) A protest feed-in by breastfeeding mothers outside the Faceboook
      headquarters: 156 University Avenue, Palo Alto, California. Time: 11 AM
      to 2 PM.

      2) A virtual protest. Women and men on Facebook are asked to do two
      things: post as their profile picture a photo of a woman breastfeeding a
      child (it may also be a work of art, or a non-human mammal); and change
      their status line to "Hey, Facebook, breastfeeding is not obscene!"

      These changes should be in place for the 24-hour period of December 27.

      ----

      Facebook claims that breastfeeding photos are "obscene," "pornographic,"
      or "sexually explicit" if they show "an entire breast." That's Facebook
      being dishonest, for they mean "a nipple." But women's nipples,
      breastfeeding or not, are not obscene in California law; and in no state
      are they obscene in photographs.

      In most places, of course, they're not obscene even apart from
      breastfeeding; whatever legal restrictions are placed against them don't
      use that word or the other terms with which Facebook demeans and
      stigmatizes women. Facebook also claims that images of breasts harm
      children.

      Participate and pass along.
    • Jana Griffin

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 25, 2008
          Re: Facebook : action planned --- and help requested Good question Jana. I’m curious about that, too, and about all of those obscene personal & profile photos.