Sign the breastfeeding petition!

  • Marshalact@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2008
      This is a petition from the US Breastfeeding Committee urging
      breastfeeding advocates to sign the petition being sent to
      President-elect Obama regarding our request to place breastfeeding in a
      position of priority as he develops his health care policies. Please
      consider signing the petition at the website listed below.

      Marsha Walekr, RN, IBCLC
      Weston, MA

      Dear Friend:

      We hope you will take a moment to help put breastfeeding on the agenda
      of the new administration: to ask President-Elect Obama to place a high
      priority on breastfeeding as an essential public health issue. There is
      virtually universal agreement among health care experts that, with rare
      exceptions, breastfeeding is the optimal method of feeding all infants,
      sick as well as healthy, preterm as well as full term. In addition to
      the myriad health benefits provided to mother and infant, breastfeeding
      provides significant economic and environmental benefits for families,
      employers, and society by reducing health care expenses, eliminating
      the need to purchase expensive formula, and reducing absenteeism from
      work to care for sick infants. Learn more about the benefits of
      breastfeeding.

      The United States Breastfeeding Committee has created a petition to the
      President-Elect, urging him to take several actions to protect,
      promote, and support breastfeeding.

      **SIGN THE PETITION TO PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA**

      In the coming months, our leaders will be focused on our economic and
      financial future. This time of crisis also presents an opportunity to
      remind them that working mothers are an essential part of our nation's
      economic security, just as the health of our children is a critical
      part of our future. A full three-quarters of mothers are now in the
      labor force. As government and employers cut back in response to the
      recession, many more families are struggling to cover the rising costs
      of health care, groceries, and other necessities. We need your support
      to ensure that in these troubled economic times, all women and families
      can access the resources and support they need to do what's best for
      their babies.

      Demonstrate your support for breastfeeding by signing the petition now.
      And please don't forget to forward this message far and wide so as many
      people as possible get a chance to sign on too. Every signature counts.
      Sign on here: www.usbreastfeeding.org/obamapetition

      Thank you!