Re: Wal-mart

  • merrilmom
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 16, 2008
      Also, if anyone can get in touch with the mother, the FIrstRight task force would be a good
      place for her to get some assistance in taking her complaint further. I'm just coming out of 2
      weeks of a house full of strep and stomach bugs so I can't do the hunting right now on my
      own but wanted to put that out there. This story is so infuriating. -Jenny Claire
    • Jana
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 21, 2008
        WOW! How can they get away with that! I too had a bad experience at
        WalMart (Lewis Center, Ohio). I was in the back near layaway when my
        newborn decided he wanted to nurse. I sat down by the telephone
        which was behind some boxes actually. No one was even paying
        attention to me until a store employee happen to come around the
        corner. All of the sudden I heard her shout, "oh my God she is
        breastfeeding her baby! Hurry someone get some blankets!" She then
        ran out into the store, came back with a blanket from somewhere and
        threw it over me. Now... let me tell you... I hadn't brought a
        blanket in but my son is my eigth breastfed child and even without a
        blanket I was very well covered. I am an expert by now. I was so
        upset with that women. However, the store did offer appologies and
        the woman was repremanded.

        --- In lactivism@yahoogroups.com, "Nicki Heskin" <egroups@...> wrote:

        > Ellen,
        >
        > Thanks for the heads up on this. Oddly, I haven't seen it anywhere
        else yet
        > in my online breastfeeding groups. But I researched some other
        stories on
        > this, and just posted my thoughts on this incident at my
        breastfeeding
        > resource site and forum, and am spreading the word to my cyber-
        peeps. This
        > REALLY ticks me off... I'd go ballistic if someone walked off with
        a cart
        > with my older child!
        >
        > My article - http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14754.asp
        >
        > Nicki >:-(

        > I'm the Breastfeeding Writer/Editor at BellaOnline!
        > Check out my articles on breastfeeding at
        > <http://breastfeeding.bellaonline.com/>
        > http://breastfeeding.bellaonline.com
        > Visit and participate in the Breastfeeding Forum at
        > <http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php?
        ubb=postlist&Board=237>
        > http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=237
        >

        > _____

        On Behalf
        > Of Ellen Baumann
        > Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:46 PM
        > To: FirstRight_Task_Force@yahoogroups.com; lactivism@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [lactivism] Wal-mart
        >

        > Link:
        > http://www.wistv
        > <http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9331930&nav=0RaPH6Oz>
        > com/Global/story.asp?S=9331930&nav=0RaPH6Oz
        >
        > Woman says she felt bullied while breastfeeding at Wal-Mart

        > Updated: Nov 11, 2008 05:55 PM
        >
        > COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A Midlands mother called us about something she
        > says happened at a Richland County Wal-Mart.
        >
        > Heather Silvis says she felt bullied when Wal-Mart associates told
        her
        > she could not breastfeed her baby in the store on Two Notch Road.
        >
        > "I sat down on the bench and put the baby on my lap. I had not even
        > began to nursing when supervisor and four Wal-Mart employees who
        were
        > standing in the area began to tell me 'You can't do that here,'"
        > Silvis said.
        >
        > Instead, Silvis says employees told her to go into a dressing room.
        >
        > "Then one of them stood up and pushed my shopping cart with my
        > 21-month-old baby in it and my purse around the corner and I was
        told,
        > 'If you want to breast feed, you're going to have to go in there.'
        So