[Fwd: Juana Villegas]

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
      I have permission from the authors of both of these emails to pass them
      on to any interested parties...if any of you are local to Nashville and
      would like to attend this meeting, please do so! This woman was
      detained for a traffic violation because of her illegal status, and
      subsequently separated from her newborn baby for, I believe, 2 days.
      When she was given a breast pump by the hospital where she gave birth,
      she was not allowed to take it back into the jail with her; she then
      ended up with engorgement and mastitis. There is a link at the bottom
      to the NY Times article about what happened. This is being reported
      mostly as an immigration issue, but my friend who wrote the below email
      is also concerned about it from the viewpoint of a mother, child welfare
      advocate, and breastfeeding advocate.

      --Lynne

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
        I am one of the moderators on the Kellymom breastfeeding messageboard.
        We have a mom on our board, a longtime member, who recently took a
        vacation. On her way back from South Carolina on United she was nursing
        her daughter prior to take off. She had her eyes half closed when
        someone suddenly tried to throw a blanket over here. Turns out it was
        the flight attendant who proceeded to tell her that she had to cover up
        while nursing because of the other passengers. She would like to write
        to United's management but would like guidance on the best way to go
        about it and who to contact to make the most impact. I'd like to be
        able to give her some e-mail addresses of ladies who can help her write
        a letter and organize her thoughts and I immediately thought of this
        group. Any help?

        -jeanine
      • Jeanine Demmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
          Here's the link to her story on our board, sorry I forgot to include it
          in my first post.
          http://forum.kellymom.net/showthread.php?t=87792

          -jeanine

          Jeanine Demmon wrote:

          > I am one of the moderators on the Kellymom breastfeeding messageboard.
          > We have a mom on our board, a longtime member, who recently took a
          > vacation. On her way back from South Carolina on United she was nursing
          > her daughter prior to take off. She had her eyes half closed when
          > someone suddenly tried to throw a blanket over here. Turns out it was
          > the flight attendant who proceeded to tell her that she had to cover up
          > while nursing because of the other passengers. She would like to write
          > to United's management but would like guidance on the best way to go
          > about it and who to contact to make the most impact. I'd like to be
          > able to give her some e-mail addresses of ladies who can help her write
          > a letter and organize her thoughts and I immediately thought of this
          > group. Any help?
          >
          > -jeanine

        • Chandra Ruiz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008