FW: Virginia Breastfeeding Information

  • Irene Sayegh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2008

      FYI… someone on one of my groups sent this today.  I plan to copy the law and carry it with me at all times.  I’m ready for a nurse-in should it come to that.  I’m there…. Me, my breastfeeding 2 yo, my 5 yo wearing a “I was breastfed until I grew a mustache” T-shirt and my lactating, almost size B boobs J !!!

      It’s also good to point out that this law protects the breastfeeding child (not only the mother)- a very important point!   We need to continue to educate everyone, especially new breastfeeding moms, not to run away with embarrassment but to stand up for our and our children’s rights.

      Irene

      Girls,

      Well, it happened. I suppose it was bound to, but I'm still a little shocked...Today, the kids I were swimming at Pirates Cove, part of Virginia's park system, and I was asked to leave because I was breastfeeding. I politely told the lifeguard that I would not be leaving, nor would I stop nursing my son. I went on to explain that the commonwealth protects my child's right to be fed, and gave her the Virginia Code references. Well, let me clarify. I gave her the VA references AFTER the other moms I was with read her the riot act. Poor girl, she was shocked at the outrage all the moms felt. What bad luck was that to find three crazy lactavists to try that with?? And I also made sure to give the management the information as well, because the staff is only as well informed as their management.

      Obviously, I'll be writing the Park leadership and their bosses at the Commonwealth level to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen to another mom, but it occurs to me to pass along the two Virginia  statutes that deal with breastfeeding in public. I am going to print them out and keep them in my wallet, just in case I need to toss them out verbatim!

      Indecent Exposure

      Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-387

      1994 Va. ALS 398; 1994 Va. Acts 398; 1994 Va. Ch. 398; 1994 Va. HB 1188

      Every person who intentionally makes an obscene display or exposure of his person, or the private parts thereof, in any public place, or in any place where others are present, or procures another to so expose himself, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person shall be deemed to be in violation of this section for breastfeeding a child in any public place or any place where others are present

      Right to breast-feed

      Va. Code Ann. §2.2-1147.1, 2002

      Virginia House Bill # 1264, 2002

      Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a woman may breast-feed her child at any location where that woman would otherwise be allowed on property that is owned, leased or controlled by the Commonwealth as defined in § 2.2-1147.

    • jkrusso2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2008
        Irene, would you ask the mom involved to fill out the discrimination
        report form on FirstRight.org? There are actually a couple of the
        FirstRight advisory council members (including me) who live in
        Virginia. This would make the second pool incident report we've gotten
        this week. Must be summer...
        Thanks,
        Jen Russo
      • Irene Sayegh