ridiculous "news" article

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2008
      I don't know if this is even worth mentioning.... but I saw this on Yahoo

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080507/sc_livescience/breastfeedingratesupalongwithguilt

      Either it's a joke or just complete stupidity, but it seems Yahoo is
      going downhill if this is considered newsworthy.
    • Alison Middleton
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2008

        Wow that is crazy. Looks like the author is a man, maybe he is just bitter about not being breastfed as a child or something. I can’t imagine he has much experience breastfeeding.

        I don't know if this is even worth mentioning.. .. but I saw this on Yahoo

        http://news. yahoo.com/ s/livescience/ 20080507/ sc_livescience/ breastfeedingrat esupalongwithgui lt

        Either it's a joke or just complete stupidity, but it seems Yahoo is
        going downhill if this is considered newsworthy.

        Checked by AVG.

        Checked by AVG.

      • Diane Boettcher
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2008
          The article isn't even coherent. He suggests that bottle feeding mothers be told about breast pumps and lactation consultants. What breastfeeding advocate doesn't promote the idea of pumping or using an LC??

          He also notes that the WHO board is made up of men, which is the strangest non-sequitor I've heard. Is he suggesting that men can't have an opinion on the medical benefits of breastmilk?

          So odd.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2008
            Maybe it's just me but I think this is funny. I certainly can accept
            criticism and maybe it is good to look at how we are perceived. I
            have a friend who really, really tried to breastfeed but for a number
            of reasons, poor support, bad lc etc was unable to. She hangs out
            with my ap friends and at times feels like they are giving her dirty
            looks for bottle feeding. She is doing her best as a mother as much
            as any other but is made to feel inferior. I think that this is the
            place this article is coming from. It includes accurate info
            regarding the benefits of and recommendations for breastfeeding and
            then an opinion about the way bottle feeding moms are treated. We
            must be cautious that in our attempt to make bfing attainable for
            every mom that we don't make those feel inferior who don't for one
            reason or another.
            Usha

            --- In lactivism@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel" <rklasinski@...> wrote:

            > I don't know if this is even worth mentioning.... but I saw this on
            Yahoo

            http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080507/sc_livescience/breastfeed
            ingratesupalongwithguilt

            > Either it's a joke or just complete stupidity, but it seems Yahoo is
            > going downhill if this is considered newsworthy.

          • maedaeapparel
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2008
              I googled him and he calls himself a "writer for hire". Makes me
              wonder if he was hired by a artificial baby milk co. to write it. It
              isn't even well written. I know the more ignorant among the general
              public like to use the term "breastfeeding nazi", but for a supposedly
              intelligent columnist to compare breastfeeding activists with Hitler's
              regime of genocide is absolutely ludicrous. If I were LiveScience, I
              would pull the article out of embarrassment and put Mr. Wanjek on warning.

              Lindsey Nelson