You Tube video infringing on a woman's right to breastfeed

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
      Forgive me if this is not the place for this, but I have no idea where
      else to turn. I came across these two videos on You Tube today and
      I'm appalled. I don't know how to report them to You Tube - I tried
      flagging them, but I'm not sure it worked (I thought if you flagged
      something it couldn't be viewed until it was reviewed?). This woman's
      right to breastfeed and her privacy have clearly been infringed upon,
      in my opinion. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

      Sarah
    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
        links would be helpful I suppose!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkSoe5UhRnc

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-SjaBQr2o

        --- In lactivism@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <sgxmas@...> wrote:

        > Forgive me if this is not the place for this, but I have no idea where
        > else to turn. I came across these two videos on You Tube today and
        > I'm appalled. I don't know how to report them to You Tube - I tried
        > flagging them, but I'm not sure it worked (I thought if you flagged
        > something it couldn't be viewed until it was reviewed?). This woman's
        > right to breastfeed and her privacy have clearly been infringed upon,
        > in my opinion. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Sarah

      • Tami Schlosser LS CLE CLC
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
          I flagged it. I DO NOT appreciate that infringement of her privacy.

          --
          Visit My Natural Living Advocacy Store!
          www.cafepress.com/mamastuff
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
            We had a major a**hole upload a bunch of video clips from a nurse-in to YouTube last year complete with disparaging descriptions and keywords which included "voyeurism."  One of them was an interview with my son who was protesting at the event.  The person posed as a journalist.  I tried everything to contact and file a complaint with YouTube and never got any response.  YouTube is notoriously bad about enforcing its own policies.  Luckily the person who uploaded the videos was stupid enough to also upload them to his blog which was an official blog of a local newspaper.  When I called the newspaper editors to complain, one of them revealed to me that this creep had been using newspaper owned video equipment to make the videos.  I had to call the publisher of the newspaper whose assistant originally told me my call would be return in a few days.  I told his assistant that if I didn't hear from the publisher within two hours he would have a cease and desist order on his desk by the end of the day and I would be suing for fraud and violation of privacy.  The publisher called me fifteen minutes later. I told him I represented by son but knew enough of the other people in the other videos that felt sure I would be able to file lawsuits on their behalf as well.  He very quickly agreed to both have the videos removed from the blog and force this schmuck who was his employee to take the videos down from YouTube.  If I had (a) not been a lawyer, (2) not been the parent of one of the kids in the video, and if (3) had not had evidence that the newspaper was liable because it owned the video equipment, those videos would still be on YouTube.

            Sadly, there is probably nothing that can be done in this situation. :(

            Jake Marcus

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
              Sarah, I couldn't view any of them. Dominique

              At 04:54 PM 09/04/2008, you wrote:
              >links would be helpful I suppose!
              >
              >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkSoe5UhRnc
              >
              >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-SjaBQr2o
              >
              >--- In lactivism@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <sgxmas@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Forgive me if this is not the place for this, but I have no idea where
              > > else to turn. I came across these two videos on You Tube today and
              > > I'm appalled. I don't know how to report them to You Tube - I tried
              > > flagging them, but I'm not sure it worked (I thought if you flagged
              > > something it couldn't be viewed until it was reviewed?). This woman's
              > > right to breastfeed and her privacy have clearly been infringed upon,
              > > in my opinion. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
              > >
              > > Sarah

              Dominique McGrady

              "Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct them to it
              by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with
              accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each." ~ Plato
            • Dominique
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                Sorry, I tried again and I did view them. There is some pretty crazy
                stuff out there! That one being one of the milder ones! Dominique

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 10, 2008
                  Dominique,

                  I do realize that the video is "mild" - but I also believe it
                  infringes on her rights and especially her right to breastfeed. I
                  should be able to report it as an infringement on privacy whether I'm
                  the person in the video or not so that YouTube could moderate. I'm
                  thinking about contacting some other groups to see if anyone has any
                  advice. I'm not sure why this got under my skin so bad, but I'm
                  determined to see that it is removed.

                  I tried to send a message to the user to ask her kindly to remove the
                  video, but she has comments and messages turned off.

                  Sarah

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 10, 2008
                    It's the mocking that makes me sick.

                    On 4/10/08, Sarah <sgxmas@...> wrote:

                    Dominique,

                    I do realize that the video is "mild" - but I also believe it
                    infringes on her rights and especially her right to breastfeed. I
                    should be able to report it as an infringement on privacy whether I'm
                    the person in the video or not so that YouTube could moderate. I'm
                    thinking about contacting some other groups to see if anyone has any
                    advice. I'm not sure why this got under my skin so bad, but I'm
                    determined to see that it is removed.

                    I tried to send a message to the user to ask her kindly to remove the
                    video, but she has comments and messages turned off.

                    Sarah

                    --- In lactivism@yahoogroups.com, Dominique <mcgrady@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry, I tried again and I did view them. There is some pretty crazy
                    > stuff out there! That one being one of the milder ones! Dominique
                    >
                    > At 08:30 PM 09/04/2008, you wrote:
                    > >Sarah, I couldn't view any of them. Dominique
                    > >
                    > >At 04:54 PM 09/04/2008, you wrote:
                    > > >links would be helpful I suppose!
                    > > >
                    > > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkSoe5UhRnc
                    > > >
                    > > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-SjaBQr2o

                    > >Dominique McGrady
                    > >
                    > >"Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct
                    them to it
                    > >by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to
                    discover with
                    > >accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each." ~ Plato

                    > Dominique McGrady
                    >
                    > "Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct
                    them to it
                    > by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to
                    discover with
                    > accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each." ~ Plato

                    --
                    Visit My Natural Living Advocacy Store!
                    www.cafepress.com/mamastuff
                    Southern Nevada Breastfeeding Services
                    Tami Schlosser LS CLE CLC
                    Breastfeeding Support Services For Nursing Moms
                    http://www.snbsonline.net
                    702-987-1579
                  • Pam Jaiswal
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 10, 2008
                      Jake, I have thought this before, but just want to say formally:

                      You are my HEROINE!

                      Thank you. :-)

                      Jake Marcus <mamajake@...> wrote:
[...]

                      "Imagine that the world had invented a new "dream product" to feed and immunize everyone born on Earth. Imagine also that it was available everywhere, required no storage or delivery -- and helped mothers to plan their families and reduce the risk of cancer.
                      Then imagine that the world refused to use it."----Margaret Porter

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Jake Marcus
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 10, 2008
                        <huge blush>

                        There is a little more to the story that is good.  Needless to say, I never told my son (who was 12 at the time) about any of this YouTube stuff.  Using the keywords "breastfeeding" and "voyeurism" together really freaked me out.  The comments were also like stuff you'd read on a men's room wall.  But the same newspaper had used a lovely picture of my son with his "I Was Breastfed in Public" sign with the story about the nurse-in (which had by the way been a positive story).  My son was very excited about that and showed it to everyone.  However, during my conversation with the newspaper publisher he actually had the gall to lecture me about the appropriateness of bringing a child to a political protest.  I ripped him a new one for that as well. ;)

                        It is very sad that YouTube is so completely unregulated, as is so much of the Internet.  I waited to the last minute last year to do my mandatory 12 hours of continuing legal education and ended up stuck in two straight days of sessions on Internet law.  I had e-mail nightmares for weeks and did stuff like figure out where that button is that turns off the WIFI whenever I walk away from my laptop, install a boatload of spyware protection, and have myself wiped out of the wayback machine. I get extremely squeamish about my picture ever being on the Internet so if you go to my website the picture of me is one of me breastfeeding my youngest but all you can see is my hair covering my face and a small child latched onto a very large breast.  So people who have never met me have no idea what I look like but a pretty good idea of what one tit looked like in 2001. ;)  It would be pretty hard to recognize me in the grocery store based on that, I think. :)

                        Jake, sorry that turned into a long "thank you"

                        Forgive me if this is not the place for this, but I have no idea where
                        else to turn. I came across these two videos on You Tube today and
                        I'm appalled. I don't know how to report them to You Tube - I tried
                        flagging them, but I'm not sure it worked (I thought if you flagged
                        something it couldn't be viewed until it was reviewed?). This woman's
                        right to breastfeed and her privacy have clearly been infringed upon,
                        in my opinion. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

                        Sarah

                        "Imagine that the world had invented a new "dream product" to feed and immunize everyone born on Earth. Imagine also that it was available everywhere, required no storage or delivery -- and helped mothers to plan their families and reduce the risk of cancer.
                        Then imagine that the world refused to use it."----Margaret Porter

                        Do You Yahoo!?
                        http://mail. yahoo.com

                      • Walter Chappel
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 10, 2008
                          Jake Marcus wrote:

                          > <huge blush>
                          >
                          > There is a little more to the story that is good. Needless to say, I
                          > never told my son (who was 12 at the time) about any of this YouTube
                          > stuff. Using the keywords "breastfeeding" and "voyeurism" together
                          > really freaked me out. The comments were also like stuff you'd read
                          > on a men's room wall. But the same newspaper had used a lovely
                          > picture of my son with his "I Was Breastfed in Public" sign with the
                          > story about the nurse-in (which had by the way been a positive
                          > story). My son was very excited about that and showed it to
                          > everyone. However, during my conversation with the newspaper
                          > publisher he actually had the gall to lecture me about the
                          > appropriateness of bringing a child to a political protest. I ripped
                          > him a new one for that as well. ;)

                          Hmmm...now I am sensing your mothering magazine letter about their
                          article about involving kids
                          in politics was coming from a bigger well of frustration, LOL! ;-)