Albany mom told to stop breastfeeding in NYS Museum or move

  • breastfeedingmatters
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20 11:55 AM
      For more information, email:
      chanamayasidi@...

      http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S352021.shtml?cat=10114
      (article and video)

      Albany mom told to stop breastfeeding in NYS Museum or move

      ALBANY -- In New York, the law states you can breastfeed in any
      public place. But an Albany woman says a State Museum employee must
      not know that. Kristin Kelly is a young mother of three including a
      4 month old she breast feeds.

      Tuesday she says she was insulted and humiliated for feeding her
      baby in public even though she knew she was well within the law.

      "I absolutely felt like I was doing something wrong," said Kristin
      Kelly with tears in her eyes.

      Kelly and her three children ages 5, 3 and little four month old
      Zachary were enjoying an afternoon at the New York State Museum.
      Near the end of their visit Zachary got hungry and Kristin says she
      found a bench up against a wall and began to breast feed her baby.

      "I sat down and made sure I was covered, three blankets over him
      actually, and I began to nurse, while my other two children sat
      beside me," she said.

      Suddenly, according to Kristin all this was interrupted.

      "A lady that said she was an employee of the museum they had another
      person report me and so I had to go to the bathroom where they had a
      chair set up where you could nurse or I would have to leave the
      museum," she said.

      Kristin says was speechless when the woman with the museum ID tag
      came back a second time, stared at her and asked her to move again.

      Zachary was finished by then but when Kristin told her husband Shaun
      he was so outraged he contacted the museum. Shaun says a
      spokesperson told him the museum allows nursing anywhere but he was
      not surprised Kristin was told to stop.

      When Newschannel 13 contacted the museum, the museum director, Cliff
      Siegfried said, "the museum has no such policy prohibiting breast
      feeding anywhere."

      As for Kristin she believes there's a lesson here for all breast
      feeding mothers and those who would stop them.

      "I have a right to feed my child where ever I want to feed him," she
      said.

      The museum director also told Newschannel 13 that he was still
      looking into identifying the museum employee who Kristin says told
      her to stop breast feeding. He did not however say what action, if
      any would be taken if the employee is identified.
      ____________

      http://www.llli.org/Law/Bills30.html

      NY CLS Civ R § 79-e (Article 7 Miscellaneous Provisions).
      1994 N.Y. ALS 98; 1994 N.Y. LAWS 98; 1994 N.Y. S.N. 3999

      § 79-E. Right To Breast Feed.
      Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breast feed
      her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is
      otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether or not the nipple
      of the mother's breast is covered during or incidental to the breast
      feeding.
    • Cindy Curtis
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20 12:59 PM

        If anyone knows this mom, they can contact

        http://www.firstright.org/   and they will advocate for her! Cindy

        Cindy Curtis RNC IBCLC CCE

        http://www.breastfeedingonline.com

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • breastfeedingmatters
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20 7:30 PM
          A new twist on this story...
          The museum director now says that it was not one of his employees who
          told the mother to nurse in the bathroom. This is from the Albany CBS
          TV affiliate station.

          norma

          >http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/museum_1253967___article.html/says_state.html

          Woman Asked to Leave Museum While Breastfeeding

          An Albany woman says she was flabbergasted when she was told she
          "could leave" while breastfeeding at the New York State Museum in
          Albany Tuesday.
          Kristin Kelly says the woman, who looked to her like a museum
          employee, asked her to go to the bathroom to breastfeed her 4 month
          old son Zachary, or leave.
          "I sat down to nurse him, "Kelly says, "Covered myself with three
          blankets…an employee said it was offending her and that I could go to
          the bathroom or leave."
          Kelly says the woman had the name "Michelle" on her ID. She kept
          breastfeeding but says it upset her and nearly made her cry.
          New York State law allows any women to breast-feed in public wherever
          they choose.
          The State Museum has checked its employees and says no one with that
          name and the description Kelly gave was on the museum floor Tuesday.
          They say the Museum is "family friendly" and they want Kelly and
          others to know they are welcome to breastfeed wherever they want. They
          feel it could not have been one of their employees. "We wouldn't do
          that, none of our staff would do that…we try to be as welcoming to
          families as possible, " says Cliff Siegfried, Director of the State
          Museum.
          He says many state workers with state ID badges routinely walk through
          the Museum during the course of the day and feels the woman who
          confronted Kelly could have been one of those employees, not a Museum
          staffer.<
        • breastfeedingmatters
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21 8:09 AM
            The press release has changed to keep current with the director's
            apology -

            We are very pleased that the director of the New York State Museum,
            Cliff Siefried, has issued an apology with regard to the incident in
            which a visiting patron, Kristin Kelly, was asked to refrain from
            breastfeeding in the museum. New York State law guarantees a woman's
            right to breastfeed in any and all public places. This law reflects
            the World Health Organization's recommendation that mothers
            exclusively breastfeed their children for at least the first six
            months of life, and are encouraged to "continue breastfeeding up to
            two years of age or beyond." Babies who are not breastfed are at an
            increased risk of developing asthma, diabetes, and childhood obesity.

            We encourage the director to use this incident as an educational
            experience for his employees and an opportunity to make the New York
            State Museum a breastfeeding-friendly, and family-friendly place.
            Breastfeeding supporters of the Capital Region will be gathering at
            the New York State Museum on Friday, February 22nd at 10:30am to show
            their support of Kristin Kelly and enjoy the beautiful art exhibits.

            It will be signed from "Breastfeeding Supporters of the Capital
            Region" and Birthnet. Please let me know if you would like your
            organization's name added to this release!

            Thanks
            Chana
            chanamayasidi@...

            For more information, see:
            http://supportbreastfeeding.weebly.com
            and
            http://supportbreastfeeding.weebly.com/tell-us-youre-coming.html
          • Heather Cohen
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 21 10:48 AM
              I know this is OT...but on the topic of covering with blankets:  I know some women just feel more comfortable having the baby covered with a blanket or shawl, but I have heard covering a baby will cause re-breathing (lack of oxygen).  Are there any articles or statements by professional groups out there about this that I can refer to?

              Heather Cohen