Who will you vote for?

  • Adrienne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
      Mrs. Clinton supported a breastfeeding employee.
      Mitt Romney overturned "Ban the Bags" in Massachusetts.
      Anyone know any other candidates stand?
    • Walter Chappel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
        just that a woman on a mothering list has been front row breastfeeding a
        a couple Obama events and he specifically smiled at her and another
        woman with a newborn nursing.

        Lorrie

        Adrienne wrote:

        > Mrs. Clinton supported a breastfeeding employee.
        > Mitt Romney overturned "Ban the Bags" in Massachusetts.
        > Anyone know any other candidates stand?

      • Valarie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
          A word on Romney overturning the ban on bags- he overturned because his advisors tell him some women can't breastfeed, and he feels like women should have ever help they need after having a baby. Though we know better than to give out formula samples, he doesn't- he means well, and the whole thing tells me he is interested in helping to ensure a better nation for women.

          Perhaps those of us that want to be Romney supporters for other reasons should start writing letters explaining these sorts of things to him? Make sure he is aware of breastfeeding politics?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008

            Who there, Nelly – that’s not exactly what happened with Mitt Romney and the formula bags.

            Mitt Romney was more interested in allowing big pharma access to mothers at a vulnerable time than he was in helping those mothers breastfeed. Romney used some very heavy-handed tactics and completely overrode the recommendations of the Public Health Council here in Massachusetts ; in fact, he went so far as to replace those members who supported the ban on marketing bags so that he could get his way.

            Shortly after Romney personally squashed this groundbreaking public health initiative, it was announced that Bristol-Myers Squibb would be opening a $600 million plant in Massachusetts . Bristol-Myers Squibb is the parent company for… wait for it! – ENFAMIL.

            Coincidence? Yeah, right. Pull the other one, it has bells on.

            Ali Crehan Feeney, CLC

            Quincy, MA

            A word on Romney overturning the ban on bags- he overturned because his advisors tell him some women can't breastfeed, and he feels like women should have ever help they need after having a baby. Though we know better than to give out formula samples, he doesn't- he means well, and the whole thing tells me he is interested in helping to ensure a better nation for women.

            Perhaps those of us that want to be Romney supporters for other reasons should start writing letters explaining these sorts of things to him? Make sure he is aware of breastfeeding politics?

            Mrs. Clinton supported a breastfeeding employee.
            Mitt Romney overturned "Ban the Bags" in Massachusetts .
            Anyone know any other candidates stand?

          • Jake Marcus
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
              Thanks Ali - I was hoping some of you Mass lactivists in the know would jump on this.  As I recall, Romney also fired several of the appointees to the public health body responsible for the ban the bags regulation so that he could get it repealed.  Am I remembering that correctly?  My memory (from a distance as a non-Massachusetts person) is that Romney was about as aggressively pro-formula company as you could get.  No?

              Yours,
              Jake Marcus

            • Marshalact@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
                As a resident of Massachusetts and a member of the board of directors of the Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition, I respectfully suggest that you look at the history of the Ban the Bags efforts on our websites, www.massbfc.org and www.banthebags.org. You will see that Gov Romney deliberately removed the 3 members of the public health council that were in favor of banning the bags, he directed his executive office to prevent the perinatal regulations from going into effect with the bag prohibition, and his office hurled insults and derogatory statements at us throughout this effort.

                No amount of education will change this pattern of behavior. His well meaning intentions are directed to industry not to mothers.

                Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
                Weston, MA

                A word on Romney overturning the ban on bags- he overturned because his advisors tell him some women can't breastfeed, and he feels like women should have ever help they need after having a baby. Though we know better than to give out formula samples, he doesn't- he means well, and the whole thing tells me he is interested in helping to ensure a better nation for women.

                Perhaps those of us that want to be Romney supporters for other reasons should start writing letters explaining these sorts of things to him? Make sure he is aware of breastfeeding politics?

                Mrs. Clinton supported a breastfeeding employee.
                Mitt Romney overturned "Ban the Bags" in Massachusetts.
                Anyone know any other candidates stand?

              • Pam Jaiswal

                  A word on Romney overturning the ban on bags- he overturned because his advisors tell him some women can't breastfeed, and he feels like women should have ever help they need after having a baby. Though we know better than to give out formula samples, he doesn't- he means well, and the whole thing tells me he is interested in helping to ensure a better nation for women.
                  Perhaps those of us that want to be Romney supporters for other reasons should start writing letters explaining these sorts of things to him? Make sure he is aware of breastfeeding politics?
                  Mrs. Clinton supported a breastfeeding employee.
                  Mitt Romney overturned "Ban the Bags" in Massachusetts .
                  Anyone know any other candidates stand?

                  "Imagine that the world had invented a new "dream product" to feed and immunize everyone born on Earth. Imagine also that it was available everywhere, required no storage or delivery -- and helped mothers to plan their families and reduce the risk of cancer.
                  Then imagine that the world refused to use it."----Margaret Porter