RE: [lactivism] Digest Number 421

  • Jennifer Laycock
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2007
      Lactivism
      I'm going to chime in to agree with the others. I also saw the petition come through and sat on it for a few days trying to decide how I wanted to approach it on my blog. I've found the conversation here to be incredibly valuable as many posters have brought up points I agree with, but had not yet considered myself.

      I understand the concept of the very slight risk in terms of disease transmission and of the higher risk of buying a "lemon" pump, but I can't in any way see how this ban would benefit breastfeeding mothers. This movement is about education, not limitations. There's value in helping moms understand the risks associated with buying a used pump, but to try and block their access to it is, in my opinion, condescending.

      I'd much rather see an organized effort focused on increasing access to pumps. Making sure every mom on WIC has just as much access to a pump as they do formula, seeing insurance companies consider full or partial coverage, encouraging more companies to keep hospital grade pumps on site in their lactation rooms so moms only have to bring their own personal kit with them, etc. Let's organize, yes...but let's do it to increase access to breast pumps, not to limit it.

      Jennifer Laycock
      The Lactivist Blog

    • Mari
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2008
        I haven't been keeping up, but I just read this about the pumps. I am
        a WIC breastfeeding counselor and in my state (NJ), we have had to
        make certain rules when giving away pumps. According to my colleagues,
        we used to be able to give out double electric pumps to any mom, but
        since the state has been slow (very slow) to give us pumps, we had to
        restrict who we give it to. We are now only giving these pumps to
        women who are exclusively breastfeeding and the manual pumps to those
        who are doing both. I think this is unfair because a pump can help any
        mom who thinks that she has to go back to work feel that they can pump
        enough milk for their baby while away and sign up for the exclusive
        package. My point in all this is that I agree that we need to make
        pumps more available for our moms.